Swinging hips and getting aligned with the pole.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Swinging hips and getting aligned with the pole.

Unread postby spencershade » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi, I've been working on my run, plant, takeoff, and drive for a WHILE now. It has improved significantly, although it's not perfect it's come a long way. I am trying to focus on all parts after the takeoff and I am having trouble with my hips. I don't understand swinging your hips vs swinging your trail leg. How is it possible to swing your hips and at what point in the vault to you do so. I know all steps in the vault depend on how well the last step is performed so I am gladly accepting comments on the entire vault but also I would like someone to explain swinging the hips and to critique my vault. Here is a video of my latest vaulting practice.

https://youtu.be/K5uZ7_XeCG0

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Swinging hips and getting aligned with the pole.

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Spencer, I just posted something on another thread that will explain all about this. It's http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54617&p=219513#p219513

Don't worry about the twisting sideways issue - that's not your problem. But everything else discussed is EXACTLY the question that you're asking.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

spencershade
PV Beginner

Unread postby spencershade » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 pm

KirkB wrote:Spencer, I just posted something on another thread that will explain all about this. It's http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54617&p=219513#p219513

Don't worry about the twisting sideways issue - that's not your problem. But everything else discussed is EXACTLY the question that you're asking.

Kirk

I see what you're saying about the downswing. I've been practicing with bubkas on the rings, ropes and high bars. If you look at my other videos it's improved a lot. I have a few questions on minor things in my vault though:
1. When I take off and my drive knee is up my trail leg is slightly bent.. Do I keep it straight and stiff or do I let it give slightly like I do?
2. What is the "chord" you mentioned in the post you reffered me to?
3. Would you look at my trail leg tell me if tucking it in like I do is wrong? I see so many vaulters succeed with the tuck and shoot form but I also see so many plateau when they can't get it right. Do I keep it straight through the extension and until I am over the crossbar?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 am

spencershade wrote: I see what you're saying about the downswing. I've been practicing with bubkas on the rings, ropes and high bars. ...
1. When I take off and my drive knee is up my trail leg is slightly bent.. Do I keep it straight and stiff or do I let it give slightly like I do?
3. Would you look at my trail leg tell me if tucking it in like I do is wrong? I see so many vaulters succeed with the tuck and shoot form but I also see so many plateau when they can't get it right. Do I keep it straight through the extension and until I am over the crossbar?

1. You shouldn't purposely bend your trail leg. But if it's bent slightly, then you need to straighten it as you begin your downswing. Just like kicking a soccer ball.
2. Do some research on PVP. For example, search for "kirk chord" and you'll find 18 pages of hits.
3a. Yeh, it's wrong.
3b. You only need to worry about your downswing. Everything after that will become so much easier. So no use fretting about those details yet. Focus on run/plant/takeoff/stretch, and downswing. The rest is easy!

Publish a vid of your bubkas on rings, ropes, and highbars, and I'll comment on those drills. You have the right idea of learning technique in the gym, then applying it to when your vaulting.

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

spencershade
PV Beginner

Unread postby spencershade » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:41 pm

KirkB wrote:
spencershade wrote: I see what you're saying about the downswing. I've been practicing with bubkas on the rings, ropes and high bars. ...

1. You shouldn't purposely bend your trail leg. But if it's bent slightly, then you need to straighten it as you begin your downswing. Just like kicking a soccer ball.
2. Do some research on PVP. For example, search for "kirk chord" and you'll find 18 pages of hits.
3a. Yeh, it's wrong.
3b. You only need to worry about your downswing. Everything after that will become so much easier. So no use fretting about those details yet. Focus on run/plant/takeoff/stretch, and downswing. The rest is easy!

Publish a vid of your bubkas on rings, ropes, and highbars, and I'll comment on those drills. You have the right idea of learning technique in the gym, then applying it to when your vaulting.

Good luck!

Kirk

Ok so I've been working on the swing up and I just wanted to follow up on the bubkas. Here is a video of my bubkas..
http://youtu.be/6yP_fXD_fqU

Here is a video of one of my vaults, I'm trying to apply the bubka technique into my vault. ( **keep in mind the standards are buried so I'm coming down on the bungee. I'm on a 14' 165 pole with the bungee at 14')
https://youtu.be/8imWxbDDyGc

Please critique anything and everything you see wrong ok either videos! I really need to start vaulting above my top handgrip but I my BIGGEST problem of the entire vault is getting my hips above my shoulders before inversion. My part time coach says I rush the vault and come down too early. If you agree let me know check out the videos.. Thanks for your help, Kirk!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I've been having a fairly detailed discussion with another coach here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54617 regarding the proper technique to use in my highbar swing drill. I mentioned it to you earlier, but I don't see any improvement in your highbar drill technique that might have come from that advice.

If you read thru that again (there's more now), it will probably cover the flaws in your highbar vid.

Re your vault vid, you're taking off under (the pole bends before your foot leaves the ground), and you're stalling out.

You need to IMMEDIATELY lower your grip, and keep it low enough so that you're CONSISTENTLY landing in the middle of the pit (the coach's box). Otherwise, you are not only risking injury, but your technique is going to be compromised, because you'll be too worried about your landing - instead of focusing on a good downswing.

Kirk

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:18 pm

spencershade wrote: ( **keep in mind the standards are buried so I'm coming down on the bungee. I'm on a 14' 165 pole with the bungee at 14')

You seem to think that the location of the standards is the reason you're missing the bungee. It's not. The standards are placed properly, and you need to have more forwards momentum in order to land safely in the pit, in the coach's box.

spencershade wrote: I really need to start vaulting above my top handgrip but I my BIGGEST problem of the entire vault is getting my hips above my shoulders before inversion. My part time coach says I rush the vault and come down too early.

I know it would be nice to raise your grip, but you actually need to lower it; improve your technique; and THEN raise it.

I know you'd like to get your hips above your shoulders, but you won't be able to do that with your current grip. You need to lower it; improve your technique; and THEN your hips will start rising above your shoulders.

I don't agree that you're rushing your vault. That's not why you're stalling out. You're stalling out because you're gripping too high for the technique you currently have. Lower your grip until your technique improves.

If you think I'm repeating myself, I am! By emphasizing that you're gripping too high for your current technique, I hope you understand the root cause of your technical flaws better now.

Improving your technique is relatively hard, and will take some time. But lowering your grip is an adjustment that you can make IMMEDIATELY, with an INSTANT improvement in your technique (the flow of your vault, from takeoff to bar clearance)!

Kirk

spencershade
PV Beginner

Unread postby spencershade » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:49 pm

KirkB wrote:I know it would be nice to raise your grip, but you actually need to lower it; improve your technique; and THEN raise it.

I know you'd like to get your hips above your shoulders, but you won't be able to do that with your current grip. You need to lower it; improve your technique; and THEN your hips will start rising above your shoulders.

Improving your technique is relatively hard, and will take some time. But lowering your grip is an adjustment that you can make IMMEDIATELY, with an INSTANT improvement in your technique (the flow of your vault, from takeoff to bar clearance)!

Kirk

Hi Kirk I took your advice with lowering my grip and it worked! My form improved significantly and I was able to actually work on getting vertical and start the pull-turn-push. I lowered my grip 6" and I was surprise at how well I was clearing 13'6". Now that I am vaulting better do you have any advice with vaulting above my handgrip? Here's the video.

https://youtu.be/SfjjnnnQY04

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:12 pm

If you don't have the strength or speed to swing up you have to lower your grip.
To swing up faster you need the strength and technique to do that.
Try this
http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/rack.htm
You can also do this by having your coach push your shoulders while you do this on a chin up bar.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sun May 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Here's a link explaining where the bottom of your swing should be. http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/molnar.htm

Check the results, reviews and videos from coaches about the Swing Up Rack being used to increase swing strength, swing speed and swing up technique that can help you get inverted farther and better in Instagram #swinguprack @polevaults
Check the link below to see photos and video too

Good luck.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”