Need technique fixing for state

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
ArcherPV98
PV Beginner
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13-1
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Need technique fixing for state

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Need to improve technique. My state championship meet is coming up soon and I really want to do well. In first video I'm holding 12-10 on 14-140 carbon sky pole vaulting, with my standards at 22 running from 7 lefts from 75 ft. The second video I'm gripping at 13-1 running from a little less than 77 attempting 13-2. I know I have a lot to fix technique wise, but if someone could please tell me what I need to fix the most in order to vault higher that would be great!

https://www.coachseye.com/t/mQqW

https://www.coachseye.com/t/jb3P
It's not how high you hold, it's how high you jump!

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Need technique fixing for state

Unread postby GasPasser » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:29 pm

The one thing I would focus on, is getting both hands as high as you can during the plant and push the pole upwards towards the bar throughout the take off. You appear to pull yourself to the pole on takeoff and that causes you to loose a lot of the energy you have from the run. If you do that well, you'll need a stiffer pole.

In addition, while you appear to be a little under/in on both videos - you are striding out your last step, causing you to be under. Focus on running tall all the way into the plant/takeoff. Be upright and tall when the pole hits the box. Make the last two steps quick. Your last step should hit the runay under your hips, not feet in front of your hips. You may need to bring your run in a foot or so if you correct your last two steps. A little forward lean is ok at takeoff, a backwards lean is bad. Leaning back and overstriding is like putting on the brakes.

Another quick fix - don't hold above 12'11" on this pole. You crushed it (blew through) holding at 13'1". If you have a 14-145, then you can hold it at 13'1". But when you move your grip up from 12'10", to 13'1" (3"), you made the pole 5 lbs softer - hence the blow through.

Good luck!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:37 pm

What GasPasser said up to and including takeoff.

After that, you start with a fairly good trail leg stretch, but then you immediately tuck it in.

That's bad, because you're missing out on the power that would be generated by swinging your trail leg DOWN, and then UP. But this is a fundamental change - not a quick fix - so I don't know if you have time to solve this one before your state meet. Plus you'd have to move up poles with the extra power generated by a good DOWNswing.

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:09 am

Thank you guys so much for the advise. I now just cleared13 feet 1 inch, school record! And about getting a new pole I just started borrowing a 13-6 155 pacer, it's it's a little shorter but definitely stiffer. Again thank you guys so much!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

:yes:

Update your PR in your profile!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:12 pm

Also I noticed my hips come up really early. I keep trying to hold that up right position at takeoff, but it doesn't stay. Does that have to do with not planting high, or my left arm?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:57 pm

ArcherPV98 wrote:Also I noticed my hips come up really early. I keep trying to hold that up right position at takeoff, but it doesn't stay. Does that have to do with not planting high, or my left arm?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but there should be NO PAUSE after the takeoff and stretch! You IMMEDIATELY need to swing your hips up, in one continuous action.

I think your hips coming up "really early" is a good thing.

So why are you trying to "hold that up right position"? :confused:

Kirk

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:22 pm

I was watching Bubka jump and he would hold an upright position at takeoff for a split second. His hips were right underneath his shoulders.the position between 9-10seconds is what I'm referring to. He doesn't stop moving like you said but he holds an upright position for about a second. I don't know if this is wrong and I'm over thinking this, but I just try to model my jump after Bubka

https://youtu.be/2Op1PvV0GlI

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:23 pm

*wrong, I meant to say doesn't matter

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:02 pm

ArcherPV98 wrote: I was watching Bubka jump and he would hold an upright position at takeoff for a split second. His hips were right underneath his shoulders.the position between 9-10seconds is what I'm referring to. He doesn't stop moving like you said but he holds an upright position for about a second. I don't know if this is wrong and I'm over thinking this, but I just try to model my jump after Bubka

It's great that you're modeling your technique after Bubka! :yes:

I didn't have that luxury, since he was only 8 years old when I was learning my Bryde Bend technique.

But I can tell you with 100% confidence that he's NOT pausing on takeoff, and that any pause would be a technical flaw.

Instead of looking at his whole body, or his hips, watch his trail leg foot. It's ALWAYS moving! As soon as he takes off and stretches, he IMMEDIATELY kicks his trail leg DOWN and FORWARDS in an arc. NO PAUSE!

You must realize that while this is all happening, his pole is bending. Thus, with the pole sinking him down, it MIGHT give the illusion that he's pausing. But if you look at his trail leg action, you'll see that it's always very, very ACTIVE! :idea:

I think your misinterpretation of what Bubka was doing is quite common, which in turn has led to all sorts of other technical flaws (such as HOW to PAUSE - sometimes by pressing with the bottom hand).

I hope you now understand this. If you're still confused, please ask any follow-up questions.

Kirk

ArcherPV98
PV Beginner

Unread postby ArcherPV98 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:13 pm

I see what your talking about with Bubka now. when you watch him in slow motion, it looked like he is holding that position but when you watch it in full motion it is easier to see. I guess what I wanted to know was I my vault, is it ok that my hips come up early and that I swing early as well?im trying to get on bigger poles and my coach says that I swing up too early which is preventing me from getting on these poles.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 pm

ArcherPV98 wrote: I guess what I wanted to know was In my vault, is it ok that my hips come up early and that I swing early as well? im trying to get on bigger poles and my coach says that I swing up too early which is preventing me from getting on these poles.

Just worry about the trail leg. The body will follow, but it's the trail leg that initiates the swinging motion.

Make sure that your trail leg bis fully stretched, then IMMEDIATELY swing - just like Bubka! :idea:

If you swing like Bubka (as I just explained), you'll get on bigger poles! But technique first, then poles. :idea:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”