Looking for advice on improvement

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
austin_tman
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former high school vaulter, still vaulting
Lifetime Best: 12'9
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Looking for advice on improvement

Unread postby austin_tman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:18 pm

I am a senior in high school. I have have cleared 12' several times. I cleared 12' my sophomore year and cleared 12' several times my junior year, just never higher. I feel that I have the potential to jump higher, but I haven't seen any improvements. I do not want to cap at 12'. I have aspirations of clearing 13'6. Or if I really improved, maybe even 15' to walk-on at the college I am attending next year. Any advice? I currently weigh 165 and jump on a 13'6 165 pole, and I have a 13'6 175 coming soon. I am not overly quick on the runway. Any tips to help me go higher this season?

Tory
PV Fan
Expertise: Former Vaulter - Current Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Re: Looking for advice on improvement

Unread postby Tory » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 am

Knowing that the outdoor HS season is coming to a close soon, the best advice that I would give you is to use a heavier rated (lower flex #). You've probably been jumping on that 13-6 165lb pole for 2 years or more, so don't make drastic pole changes unless you want to no-height in your last few meets.

Get on your 13-6 175lb pole as soon as possible.

Getting faster: Do 20/20's. Try to run 20 steps within 20 meters as fast as you can. It'll be difficult, but you should be able to get close to 20 steps.

Pole angle at take-off: If you can maximize pole angle at take-off, you can make up for some lack of speed. What this means is, JUMP at the take-off. Try to hit your take-off mark (10' 6" ?) spot on or perhaps even a bit out/free (10' 9" ?).

Good luck!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”