getting the elbow inside

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
mohammed
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10.6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

getting the elbow inside

Unread postby mohammed » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Hello
I wanted to know if anyone could help me and give me any advice for getting the elbow inside meaning whenever i vault my elbow doesn't go inside and i end out having the pole on the inside of my armpit so i can't pull up at the top end of the vault. If anyone could give me some advice to help fix this problem i would greatly appreciate it.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: getting the elbow inside

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 pm

Post a video. But to answer your question. If you are straight pole jumping, you can still turn over the bar and get your left around the pole. If you are bending the pole, it will rotate away and around the bottom arm. You should be more concerned with rotating at the shoulders than forcing or wondering how to get your bottom arm through. It is not something that is necessary or desirable.

jrau
PV Newbie

Re: getting the elbow inside

Unread postby jrau » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:45 am

IMO, this problem only exists in stiff pole vaulting. But stiff pole vaulting is how you learn. A lot of beginners have this problem, it prevents you from getting fully inverted in a stiff pole vault, which is a good lesson when transitioning to flexible pole vaulting.

What I do with the kids I coach is to get them a short pole/broomhandle/pvc pipe and practice going through the correct motion of plant through the swing into the inversion. That should allow you to practice getting the elbow on the "right" side and make it much easier to feel. Then do some pop up drills focusing on this. Then do some pop up drills with a turn on top. You should solve this problem within a few sessions.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”