Skinny vaulter pros & cons

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Naughty Joe
PV Newbie
Expertise: Junior year high school
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Skinny vaulter pros & cons

Unread postby Naughty Joe » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:45 pm

I'm 6'4" and weigh 163lbs (Yeah, I know..). Does a good bend and penetration depend on arm strength? Are there any advantages of being my kind of slender, lanky build? Please elaborate on some technical parts of pole vault which I should focus on perfecting, accounting for my lack of muscle. Plant, swing mechanics, etc. Thanks!!

-Joe

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Skinny vaulter pros & cons

Unread postby vquestpvc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:44 pm

Can't resist Joe. Have you ever heard of Jenn Suhr. Well of course you have. She is about 6' tall and probably 150-55lbs. She currently holds the women's world record at 16'6". So, you tell me, is she skinny and lanky according to your description? Best thing I think ever happened to pole vaulting..............women.

SkinnyVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3''
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby SkinnyVaulter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:38 pm

I havent jumped in a while, but I had the same problem when I was in High School (6ft and 135 lbs).

What I focused on was the takeoff first and foremost. I did lots of runs and worked on a strong tall takeoff, which I eventually transitioned into a free takeoff. I think the free takeoff was a huge asset, because it generated enough power that I could jump on pretty big poles for my weight, the biggest poles my school had (14'6'' 150 and 155's). Make sure you have a good long trail leg and a strong drive knee. Another advantage to being light, was if you can get inverted a big pole is really going to throw you. However, I would say really focus on a solid aproach and take off so you can get on some bigpoles, then go hard for getting properly inverted.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:12 pm

@SkinnyVaulter: Very good points! :yes:

I suggest more focus on technique, and less focus on big poles. :idea:

But nevertheless, I get your points, and they're good ones!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

SkinnyVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3''
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby SkinnyVaulter » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 pm

@kirk: Thanks!

I guess your right, I forgot that before all that I did nothing but 4 step approaches till I could swing invert turn and push properly ;)

Get a stubby if you don't already have one, It could be a 3ft section of a broken crossbar or pole. Then go through the motions of the vault with it during down time and before going to sleep, picture yourself in that phase of the jump. If your school has some you can find some rings or a bar (rings are better) and practice swinging- whipping that trail leg through to an inverted position. Those are all drills I did when I jumped.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”