Pole series?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
OlyVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Pole series?

Unread postby OlyVault » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 am

So I am finally moving up poles again, but need advice on what to move onto next.

This weekend I was on a 13'7/160, standards at 75/80cm. The next pole up I have is a 14'1/155. Should I scrap the 13'7, and move to a 14'1/150 with matched grip to get used to the 14'1 series before moving up? The 160 is the only 13'7 we have at the moment, but in 14'1 we have 140-180.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Pole series?

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes, this is a no brainer. Just do it!

You infer that the 14'1/150 is identical in weight to the 13'7/160. Someone else can advise if that is a correct assumption. But assuming that it is, you should get onto the series of 14 foot poles just ASAP.

What are your school's weight increments between 140 to 180 on the 14-footers? Is it 5 pounds, or 10 pounds?

If 5 pounds, then you could even go down a pole (to 14'1/145), just to get your confidence on the 14'1 series with a couple of soft (easy) warmup vaults. Then go up to 14'1/150 for a couple more. You should then be warmed up and ready to go with the 14'1/155.

I suggest you don't move your grip up on the same jump that you move up a pole. Instead, just move your grip up a fist at a time, or move your pole up by 5 pounds at a time.

The reason for this is to keep everything consistent, with as few variables as possible. This is what will give you the confidence that you can handle the heavier pole (or the higher grip).

Otherwise, if you stall out, you won't know whether it was due to the higher grip or the heavier pole.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 pm

OlyVault wrote: This weekend I was on a 13'7/160, standards at 75/80cm.

This is another related point.

It's good that you keep your standards all the way back. In fact, I suggest to not even vary between 75 and 80cm. Keep them at 80.

Keeping the standards all the way back is the safest (and most consistent) way to do it.

It's one less variable that you have to worry about.

So if you're landing on the bar at 80cm, go down a pole; and if you're hitting the bar on the way up (or if your pole feels mushy but you're clearing it), then go up a pole.

You can do this when you have the luxury of 14 foot poles in the 140-180 weight range, and you're near the middle of that range! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

OlyVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby OlyVault » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 pm

KirkB wrote:Yes, this is a no brainer. Just do it!

You infer that the 14'1/150 is identical in weight to the 13'7/160. Someone else can advise if that is a correct assumption. But assuming that it is, you should get onto the series of 14 foot poles just ASAP.

What are your school's weight increments between 140 to 180 on the 14-footers? Is it 5 pounds, or 10 pounds?

If 5 pounds, then you could even go down a pole (to 14'1/145), just to get your confidence on the 14'1 series with a couple of soft (easy) warmup vaults. Then go up to 14'1/150 for a couple more. You should then be warmed up and ready to go with the 14'1/155.

I suggest you don't move your grip up on the same jump that you move up a pole. Instead, just move your grip up a fist at a time, or move your pole up by 5 pounds at a time.

The reason for this is to keep everything consistent, with as few variables as possible. This is what will give you the confidence that you can handle the heavier pole (or the higher grip).

Otherwise, if you stall out, you won't know whether it was due to the higher grip or the heavier pole.

Kirk

Thank you for the reply! you reassured what I was thinking. We have the 140, 145, 150, 155, 160, 165, 170, 175, 180. Don't know the flex #s and some are newer than others, but that shouldn't vary too much.

The 160/165 we also have in newer ESSX poles (opposed to UCS), which are lighter and thinner. I've been thinking about using those when I get there, as I'm a shorter and lighter vaulter.

As for the standards, I always try to keep them at 80cm just cause of how my club coach taught us. I brought them in because it was a windy day and I didn't have a pole below the 13'7 160 with me (besides a 13'1 165 which I was crushing).

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:55 pm

OlyVault wrote: As for the standards, I always try to keep them at 80cm just cause of how my club coach taught us. I brought them in because it was a windy day and I didn't have a pole below the 13'7 160 with me (besides a 13'1 165 which I was crushing).

:yes:
Good luck! :star:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”