Finishing the vault

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
11kalnmitc
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.73
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Finishing the vault

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Currently I'm starting to really hit my stride, I pr'd three weeks ago at 15'6.25" from 6 left and since then in the last two meets I've hit 14'6" and 14'8". I'm back to a 7 left approach now and I'm bringing a lot more speed but I can't seem to finish the vault like I have in the past. Especially on the bigger poles. I'm currently jumping on 15'7" poles between 170lb. rating and 180lb. I'm getting well past the "L" position and I'm in a good position to bring the pole up my body. However I'm consistently dropping my legs when I try to bring the pole up my body. It almost feels like the pole is kicking me down instead of throwing me up even though I'm in a good position. Any suggestions are appreciated and if there are any details I left out that you wanna know just let me know.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have one practice this week to get some of this worked out before our conference meet.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Finishing the vault

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:08 pm

It's almost impossible to give you good advice until we see your vids.

Please follow these guidelines: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11345

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”