Yes, another getting inverted post!

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Yes, another getting inverted post!

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:01 pm

PVstudent wrote: ...
:yes:
Excellent advice, PVstudent! All of it! :yes:

You have not only provided excellent coaching tips for Scootz, but at the same time you have reminded me (and other coaches as well, I'm sure) of a few things ...

1. Ropes are just as important (if not more important) to use in the training of young vaulters. Double ropes, ropes with rings, and ropes with knots at appropriate heights are good too. And it's usually much easier to hang a rope from a tree nearby the track than a highbar or rings. So ropes can bridge that gap between gymnastics apparatus (located in a gym) and the convenience of having apparatus track-side.

2. There are many gymnastics drills that can be done on the grass infield of the track. These drills should be done as warmups to any vaulting practice (or meets), but there's sufficient value in them (even just the drills that you've elicited above) to do full workouts (usually for beginners, or early-season) at the track.

3. Spatial awareness and getting used to being upside-down can be improved by very simple drills like handstands and cartwheels! Walking on the hands (compete for distance) is another good one.

4. I mentioned in my posts above that Scootz' protege didn't need to get much stronger; she just needed to become more gymnastic. To clarify, all of the drills suggested by PVstudent WILL give her some additional strength that she needs, but this is "gymnastics strength" as opposed to "brute strength". The difference is that developing gymnastics strength enables the vaulter to manipulate her body in the way a gymnast would - using leverage and swinging techniques (rather than just "muscling up" the pole).

PVstudent, thanks again for taking the time to suggest all the various drills above. I don't think I've ever seen such a good list compiled (not even in BTB2). The above list is an excellent compliment to BTB2! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”