I need help getting fully inverted

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
treyman821
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: renaud lavillenie

I need help getting fully inverted

Unread postby treyman821 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 pm

I have been having trouble for a while getting completely inverted and just have my legs up with my butt hanging down.

Here is a video of me making 10' 6" on a 13' 160.

https://youtu.be/2dHrwUGQO5M

Sorry for the bad quality

OlyVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: I need help getting fully inverted

Unread postby OlyVault » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 am

Hi,

To start, what year in HS are you? Second, you need to start dropping your shoulders (easier said than done, right?)

I would recommend first working on the take off. Try to punch that arm up straighter and drive leading with your chest. If you set yourself up earlier for a better vault, you will have an easier time swinging, and then inverting.

Beyond that, some drills without a bungee or bar would definitely help. Off the runway, light deadlifts could help. Deadlifts replicate the motion of dropping your shoulders and bringing your hips to the pole. Do them with light weight and work on firing the glutes first (sounds weird, but squeeze your butt before pulling). Getting the form with some resistance should help. Then, start doing Bubkas. If you can set up a piece of steel pipe in a corner so it is on an angle and have someone spot you that would be perfect. If not, try them on a trapeze/rings if they're available. Bubkas help doing that same bringing the hips to the pole motion, but upside down. Last, try to point your heels,not your toes. Anatomically, when you point your heels, it helps keep you tight to the pole.

Hope this helped, and hopefully someone else picks up some things I may have missed.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”