HS Coach Requesting Video Review.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
dupre.taylor
PV Beginner
Expertise: Collegiate Vaulter, HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

HS Coach Requesting Video Review.

Unread postby dupre.taylor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Hey coaches,

I'm a HS coach with a 13' 6" vaulter that I've coached from the ground up beginning last year. I am by no means an experienced coach, I am a young guy with about 6 years of PV experience. I am getting to the point where my lack of coaching experience is starting to show as I am not sure the best way to help my vaulter progress above 14'. I identify a few things that need adjustment in his vault (obviously a straighter trail leg), but I want a fresh set of eyes to let me know what exactly I need to help him work on...and more importantly HOW to help him work on it.

Here is his latest clearance of 13'6" and his 3rd (and best) attempt at 14'. Both jumps he is on a 13'6" 165 skypole, 13-13'2" grip, and he weighs 140 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83OYBc8EL0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2yTtJbtFoM

Again, I am aware of some of the more basic things wrong with his form, but I would love to hear what you guys think, and some things I can do to help him correct!

Thanks In advance,

Taylor

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: HS Coach Requesting Video Review.

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:59 pm

I saw the first vid, but the 2nd one is marked "private", so I can't see it.

Will provide some advice later, but would like to see the 2nd jump first, if possible.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:41 pm

I'll jump in here based on the one and only video...

In order of sequence...
1. His plant is late and it is causing him to stride out the last two steps. Check to see if his top hand is above his head on the second to last step(right foot)
2. He is under a ton. Some of this will get better as his plant timing improves and his stride tightens up but he needs to move back now. I would start with 6" and keep adding 3" until his takeoff spot is slightly outside/behind his top arm at takeoff.

There are some other things happening after that but they may go away if you correct these two things first.

Do lots of 6 step plant drills walking, jogging, sprinting to improve the timing.

Planting the Pole – 6 Steps - Start: Top hand at hip, bottom hand center of chest elbow down

Counting with each step 1-2-3-plant-2-3

Bottom arm forward(1-2-3)-Top arm up(Plant-2-3)
* Plant Step: pole tip at eye level
* Two Step: top hand at forehead/over head
* Three step: top arm completely straight
Chris Milton

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:13 pm

cdmilton wrote: There are some other things happening after that but they may go away if you correct these two things first.

I agree that run, plant and takeoff need some work first.

After that (as you noted, Taylor: "obviously a straighter trail leg"), the swing needs to be a longer radius. This means not only stretching the trail leg to be longer in length and longer in duration, but ALSO stretching the top arm to be longer too.

In the vid, he's hunching his shoulders (as he's pulling in his trail leg too early), which causes an inefficient swing with too short of a radius.

Highbar/ring work will teach him how to swing better (it's hard --- if not impossible --- to hunch your shoulders as you swing on highbar or rings).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dupre.taylor
PV Beginner
Expertise: Collegiate Vaulter, HS Coach
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby dupre.taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks Guys,

I fixed the second video so now it's "public". We have been working on getting his run more consistent and making sure he's not under so much on his plant. He cleared 14'0" today on a 14' 165lb pacerfx. He pretty much muscled through it though, and his form is going to need to improve to get the most out of that pole.

Here's his 14ft jump earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHucxWFmHFM

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:45 pm

dupre.taylor wrote: He pretty much muscled through it ...

Yes, he did. This jump is much improved over the first one, but he needs to learn to use his shoulders and arms LAST. He should not hunch or pull until he's already almost fully inverted.

For a second year vaulter, he's doing fantastic! He just needs more experience. As his coach, I think you're doing fantastic too! :yes: :star:

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”