Can't get my steps down

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
OlyVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Can't get my steps down

Unread postby OlyVault » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi guys, so I hope someone can help me out, and anyone with similar problems can learn from the advice posted.

So, I am a DIII college vaulter, 5'6", 150lbs. I'm on a 13'165 holding at 12'6, and I'm vaulting pretty well off of it, and in competition I crush it sometimes and have to move up. Our next pole up is a 13'7/160.

In practice, I've had days where I can get the 13'7 it holding 13', and days like today where I nearly die and can't hold above 12'9. Coach says that on my last few steps, I'm striding out and end up over a foot inside.

I've been on this pole before and bigger ones and cleared heights with my standards all the way at 80cm. But, when I use it now, I cant clear anything on it and my standards come forward to about 60cm. Also, I end up stabbing the box and straining my back.

For reference, all of our poles are UCS. The flex rating of the 13/165 is 17.0, and for the 13'7/160, it's a 20.5.
My 7 step is around 85'4" (last week it was 86'10, but I keep striding out too much).

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Can't get my steps down

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:31 pm

If I had to guess, I would guess that you might spend too much time running full approach vaults at the pit? I suggest that you get away from the pit on the track and work on you approach; over and over again. Run your full approach on the track marking your starting point and pole tip drop point. Further, if you're not counting, start. Counting your takeoff foot at each subsequent stride will simply be a reminder of when you will attempt a takeoff. And further, remember vaulting is a jumping event and therefore, you must jump on the final step. As you consistently start hitting your takeoff point on the track, progress to a sliding box, but don't make it a focal point; in other words, don't stare at it as you approach. When your back hurts at takeoff it is usually because the energy you create by running to approach is forced back into you instead of the pole because your ran through and did not jump up at takeoff. Honestly, vaulting is simple mechanics and if the movements are connected properly can lead to success. However, if not done correctly, a back ache. Vault high, but be safe.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:11 am

You need to move in, even though you are under on takeoff. Make sure you do not overstride. It seems to me that a perfect stride on the track is a little bit longer than a when you are coming in for takeoff on the runway. Stretching at takeoff kills your vault.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Rhino wrote:Make sure you do not overstride. It seems to me that a perfect stride on the track is a little bit longer than a when you are coming in for takeoff on the runway.

He may very well need to move in. But as VQuest mentioned, performing many approaches on the track, measuring and marking each take off until there is a consistent mark leads to a consistent take off at the pit.

6 step plant drills, 20/20s, claws and ostrich steps help to stabilize the run and plant. A coach that is willing to develop a trained eye will help the athlete develop a consistent run up. These are drills of specificity to the pole vault and take a lot of the guess, wish and wonder out of it. (But the drills of labor are not as much fun as taking up full jumps)

It also seems that 10# gaps between poles is significant when going up 7". Simple logic is that going up 5lbs and or checking the flex rating on the UCS poles (there are typically 3 for each weight) would be worth exploring for you when transitioning poles.

OlyVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby OlyVault » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 am

grandevaulter wrote:
Rhino wrote:Make sure you do not overstride. It seems to me that a perfect stride on the track is a little bit longer than a when you are coming in for takeoff on the runway.

He may very well need to move in. But as VQuest mentioned, performing many approaches on the track, measuring and marking each take off until there is a consistent mark leads to a consistent take off at the pit.

6 step plant drills, 20/20s, claws and ostrich steps help to stabilize the run and plant. A coach that is willing to develop a trained eye will help the athlete develop a consistent run up. These are drills of specificity to the pole vault and take a lot of the guess, wish and wonder out of it. (But the drills of labor are not as much fun as taking up full jumps)

It also seems that 10# gaps between poles is significant when going up 7". Simple logic is that going up 5lbs and or checking the flex rating on the UCS poles (there are typically 3 for each weight) would be worth exploring for you when transitioning poles.

My indoor season ended, but I did all the drills mentioned beforehand. Also, broke it down to 2/3/4 steps and did some slide box drills. Yesterday for the first time since indoor I got onto my full approach again and killed the 13'7/160. Success!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:43 am

And how cool is that! Congrats

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”