Help with vault *video*

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
oddy21
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Help with vault *video*

Unread postby oddy21 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:56 am

Unfortunately, my phone died and I wasn't able to get any more video as I went back a few steps and on a bigger pole but this is me 5 stepping with a 14' 175 with a hand grip of 13'3". I feel like I'm not rocking back enough after watching this video, but it also seems that the pole was a bit too small as I was landing pretty far into the pit which may contribute to that, I'm not completely sure. I also feel like to pole isn't really "flinging" me, for a lack of better words. I don't get much clearance at the top end of my vault. Please pick my vault apart! Thank you in advance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq5Psp-lMBM

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Help with vault *video*

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 am

This post probably belongs in the Video Review forum, not here.

If you had posted there, you would have seen the READ BEFORE POSTING post. Read it and heed it. (RBG: I'll edit this if you move it to VR.)

Oddy, in your case, especially #2 and #3 ...

2. Please post as much information as possible about yourself. Tell us:
How long you have been jumping:
What pole you are on (length and weight rating):
How high you are gripping:
What bar(s) you are attempting in the video:

3. The best camera angle is a side shot from your takeoff angle. If you have really poor video quality and camera angles, don't expect as many replies.

Also, don't just apologize for your not videoing your best jumps. Instead, charge up your phone battery before your next workout, and THEN post your best jumps. Critiquing inferior jumps is a waste of everyone's time.

I will give you one hint though: The problems that you noted re "rocking back", "pole not flinging me", and "lack of clearance at the top" are ALL related to faults with your run, plant, and takeoff. Once your takeoff foot leaves the ground, your vault is 90% locked in (good or bad) and if anything's wrong, there's nothing you can do to salvage it.

Run. Plant. Jump.

Roughly 90% of your technical focus should be on your run, plant, and takeoff. This is what separates a 13 foot vaulter from a 18 foot vaulter (not any gymnastic manoeuvres on the pole).

But exactly what these problems are is hard to say without good quality vid from a side view.

Make sure that your full run and your full takeoff are recorded (takeoff foot and top hand on need to be clearly visible on each frame).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

oddy21
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Re: Help with vault *video*

Unread postby oddy21 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Thank you for the reply! My bad, I didn't see that there was a video review forum. I'll try to get some better footage and then post there.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”