Making some big changes in my vault

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Making some big changes in my vault

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:07 am

I am working on making some big technical changes in my vault as I am going to start vaulting in college next semester. I am going to a local club for now to get some work in before I actually transfer. One thing I have a major problem of is rowing. I do not row immediately after take off but do so towards the end of my swing to inversion. It occurs about the place where my hips have gotten to horizontal with my shoulders. I also do not have a nice long swing and once my hips are up I tuck my knees in and try to bring my feet and hands together, this is why I row I believe. I am trying to make my hands and feet meet when I should bring my feet to where my hands are. How can I work on changing this? Would it benefit me more to work on keeping a straight trail leg throughout my swing and inversion? I feel as though this is going to take ALOT of work since I have never done it, but I do want to make the change. Or is there anything I can do to just stop me from rowing?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Making some big changes in my vault

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Are you striving to follow the Petrov Model, or some other model?

i.e. Where are you learning that rowing is bad, etc? Rowing is bad, but it's usually an indication that something else has gone wrong earlier in the vault.

Do you work out multiple times per week on a highbar or rings? How does your swing in the gym compare to your swing on the pole?

What does your run, plant, takeoff, and stretch look like?

If a pic is worth a thousand words, then a vid must be worth at least 10,000 !!! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”