Top hand

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Top hand

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:39 pm

I've got a couple vaulters that when they swing up thier top hand swings to the out side thigh of thier opposite leg of thier top hand. So a righty is swinging to the out side of the left leg. Now they don't do this in any of the drills (pop ups/pulling and turning) just when they vault. It absolutly kills the top end, because they cann't turn very efficiently. Now I've seen this tendancy with kids that are blocking(jamming thier bottom arms out) but they aren't blocking. I haven't been able to pick up what they are doing yet that is causing this. Any coaches out thier have any suggestions?
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:49 pm

Robert,

My kids typically have the opposite problem, they swing their legs between their handspan not to their top hand. I would guess your guys are applying a pushing force out and down the pole with their bottom hand in the later stages of the swing to end up like you describe.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:33 pm

I've been looking for that and there was one that was doing it. The rest I'm still working on.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”