takeoff probs.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

takeoff probs.

Unread postby asaleh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:12 am

Man its that time again. Its so frustrating when you come across this problem. I cant takeoff!!! Not even from a little 3 step run. Sometimes this sport really takes one hell of a toll on you and I really need some help. I don't think that my problem is my steps since I am told my takeoff leg takes off on the right spot but I just cant seem to find and courage to just go for it and takeoff. Any advice or words of encouragement.
Your only as good as your last jump.

jam354
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter

Re: takeoff probs.

Unread postby jam354 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:32 am

Move your step in and put a towel at your takeoff point. Sometimes changing your perspective will help you take off. Give it a shot. It always worked for me.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:59 pm

One of the things I discovered preventing a vaulter from taking off was not moving the arms fast enough above the head into take off. I've heard it stated that the hands have to move faster than the feet at take off. Despite not know why you're not taking off, athletically and perceptually you know instinctively that you're not in position for a successful take off. Get away from the pit to the track and just do a series of approaches working on rapidly moving your arms above your head at TO. Good opportunity to also check your approach distance. Then it is back to the pit. I have had success emphasizing arm movement when vaulters have had trouble taking off. Good luck and hope this can work for you.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 pm

vquestpvc wrote: Get away from the pit to the track and just do a series of approaches working on rapidly moving your arms above your head at TO. Good opportunity to also check your approach distance.

To add to this, use a basketball hoop (or backboard) as a physical target to reach for - the higher the better. You can do this casually, without worrying about any precise steps leading up to your takeoff. Try to jump up and touch as high as you can.

You will find that the natural motion that allows you to jump the highest is the action of swinging one arm up the quickest, not unlike doing a layup, and not unlike the arm action with the pole.

To make it more challenging, keep track of your progress - from week to week, month to month, or year to year.

This will increase your confidence, and I will GUARANTEE you that you will not balk on takeoff (on the drill, I mean). Your increased confidence will transfer to the pole quite nicely.

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:31 pm

vquestpvc wrote: Get away from the pit to the track and just do a series of approaches working on rapidly moving your arms above your head at TO.

To add to this, try using a basketball hoop (or backboard) as a target. You can do this casually, without worrying about any precise steps leading up to your takeoff. Depending how tall your are, and your leaping ability, try to jump up and touch as high as you can.

You will find that the natural motion that allows you to jump the highest is the action of swinging one arm up the quickest, not unlike doing a layup, and not unlike the arm action with the pole.

The arm action may not be identical, but the timing of raising your arm in unison with jumping vigorously off the ground is identical.

And just getting away from the track, trying something different, will give you a fresh perspective.

Kirk[/quote]
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:56 am

Kirk's suggestion regarding jumping to a basketball hoop is excellent. It can also be taken a step further. Using a "stubbie", also jump up attempting to touch stubbie to hoop. And more importantly, make sure you are driving both hands up with stubbie with the emphasis on touching the bottom portion of the stubbie to the hoop; and be conscientious that both arms are extended up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”