Pole Length/ grip height

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Pole Length/ grip height

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:24 pm

I am a senior in high school and have recently jumped 14' several times gripping at 13'4 on a 13'6 175lb pole from a 6 left approach, and gripping roughly the same on a 14' 170lb pole from 7 lefts. I have recently had a fairly large breakthrough with my technique but from my short approaches, 4 and 5 lefts. I am now able to jump holding at 13'2 on a 13'6 165lb from 4 lefts and with great form. I haven't bar jumped to actually see how high i could jump from 4 but im guessing at least 13' maybe even 13'6. So my main question just two weeks away from the state meet. Do I need to try working on the biggest poles i can and carry that form over? When i hit my longer runs and use bigger poles my form is not as great. Im thinking that i could get onto a 14'6 165 pole from 7 lefts holding near the top. Would getting onto this pole and hitting some good form be my main goal for these last few practices? I go to sectionals saturday the 17th and then state is the following weekend. I am hoping to jump over 14'6-15'+ at the state meet.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Re: Pole Length/ grip height

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed May 14, 2014 8:18 pm

I would suggest that you keep working on your technique with the poles that you are comfortable with from the shorter runs. Make sure you have the big poles in the bag at the meet just in case you need to get on them.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”