Determining the Correct Step

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
SomersetVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby SomersetVault » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am

Hello all, I am a collegiate vaulter (D3) having some major problems with my step. I vaulted for a year and a half in high school, but had an amazing coach I traveled to for help. I am now in college at a school where the coaches don't know too much about the vault. I have only ever gone from a six left max approach, I use a (4 left) in to warm up. My step was consistently 73"6", until I reached this outdoor season. I have jumped on 14' poles for the past three years, holding about six inches from the weight sticker. In high school my pr was 14'3" but in college my best has only been 13'6". My takeoff should be around 11'3" but it is typically a foot under. That is why I tried to adjust my approach. I consistently slide boxed and triple checked my 6 left which is the whole way back at 78'. This seems extremely far for six lefts for me. My step was on at takeoff but I'm not sure if I'm striding out or not. Does anyone have any advice, trying to get back over 14' again...I will post videos and link them if someone will watch them and critique me!

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Determining the Correct Step

Unread postby altius » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 am

Suggest you include 20/20s in your program. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 pm

Somerset,

Our kids jump 7 lefts from 78ft with a 13-6 grip. In my opinion, 7 lefts is still not enough for that grip.

We employ a "Step Chart" to guide us in this item. It has to be practiced, although, and never with a slide box.

Altius is right: Do your 20-20's. Our group does this drill at every practice (10 reps) and meet (5 reps). The key is to APPLY it to the runway.

If you would like to see our "Step Chart" let me know. Good luck!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 am

AwamaKrCB

Unread postby AwamaKrCB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:02 am

I think, judging from your videos that you need to jump off the ground more, it will help you stay behind the pole and prevent your hips from getting sucked under. You can practice this from a three step and work your way back to your full run.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”