What are your problems jumping?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KentVango
PV Beginner

What are your problems jumping?

Unread postby KentVango » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:33 pm

What is the biggest problems yall run into when yall go through with your jump...like plant, swing,arms?????

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:34 pm

being quick with the last few steps. especially the take off step

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:32 am

Being under due to long last steps
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

KentVango
PV Beginner

Steps

Unread postby KentVango » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:01 pm

Yall should check ur steps....if ur steps are perfect than the last step will be perfect

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:19 pm

in a perfect world...
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:54 pm

[quote]Yall should check ur steps....if ur steps are perfect than the last step will be perfect

Not necessarily...being quick at the end usually doesn't have to do with if your step is on or not. It has to do with how you set up to take off and how quick you are with getting your hands up.[/quote]

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:29 pm

Lonestar, have you always had this problem or is it now that your a masters vaulter? I'm asking because I've struggled with the same thing since I've started vaulting agian.

For my self I came to the realization that I can only take a couple of vaults running as powerfully as I used too. after that my stride length, no matter how hard I try to keep it consistant just isn't there. and I take some long, slow, BIG steps to to get a take off and end up flat and under at the take off. I found that I have to move my step up as I take more vaults.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:28 am

Actually, I'm retired now, but I was speaking in general terms that the majority of vaulters I see jump under.

While I was jumping, it was just steering to be under. I was accelerating great on my last 6 steps, but lengthening to hit 11' when I needed to be at 12' or farther.

Even Scott Hennig, a 5.80 jumper now retired, used to take off sometimes at 10' gripping well over 16' - the pole would literally be bent on his penultimate step. It's not about just simply needing to move one's step back or forward, it's about teaching a stride pattern/motor program that highly relates to depth-perception so that the vaulter feels comfortable taking off farther away from the pit.

I still pick up a pole from time to time to demonstrate drills, and I've re-worked my depth perception well enough where I can randomly pick a spot anywhere on the runway and hit an on or out takeoff every time.

Anyway, under is bad.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”