I found a Breakthrough

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

I found a Breakthrough

Unread postby asaleh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Hey Guys. I think i found something to stop a problem most people end up having in their high school career. Being in and over striding. First please watch this clip because this is where i got my inspiration from.http://sefruan.com/spongebob/s4/Mrs_Puf ... Fired.html . Sponge bob always screws up his driving test when he looks at the corse. When he put a blindfold on he was great. When i was watching i found that i do the something when i vault. So the next day when i did box drills i put a headband around my eyes and it went perfect. My step was about 1/2ft out instead of 2 ft. in. I wanted to share this to see what KirkB, CoachEric, and Altius think.
Your only as good as your last jump.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: I found a Breakthrough

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Is this for real, or are you joking?

I'm not sure what "box drills" you're doing, but whatever works, go for it! Just as long as it's safe to do them while blindfolded. If not, I would suggest you stop. Maybe you can post a vid to explain better what you're doing? With and without the blindfold.

What is it that you did without the blindfold that you now do better WITH the blindfold? What was distracting you, and where were your eyes looking? If you can figure out the root cause, then you won't need the blindfold anymore.

I think I may have advised someone once to try doing swinging drills on the highbar with your eyes shut. This was based on the fact that you're hanging on the highbar with two hands, so you can FEEL where your body is, so you'll be safe in shutting your eyes. If you're moving your legs in any way during your "box drills" (and it sounds like you must be), then this may NOT be safe! Safety first!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Still believe that you -along with most vaulters - simply need to learn how to control your last six steps. 20 steps in 20 yards or 20 in 25 even 20 in 30 will help you do this. As I point out in BTb2 if you do only ONE drill in the vault - the 20/20 should be the one.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 pm

That's a interesting insight. Thanks for sharing!

Why/how do you think your run mechanics changed when you were blindfolded? Do you think that the blindfold made you more aware of your footstrike or balance, or did it just sort of happen?

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Unread postby asaleh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 pm

When I reviewed my vault a week back I noticed 1 thing. My head was tilted down at the box from the moment I stepped on the runway. I think this lead me to think that if I am closer to the box I would be more comfortable. Then i watched the spongebob episode and got the idea. I just did a meet and cleared 12.6 from 5 steps with a lot of height. My step was still in but about a ft but I think the adreadine was pumping so I ran harder. Which is wayyyyyy better that 3ft in like I normally was. I think it let me focus on my pole drop and the blindfold kept the nerves from reacting to what I see.
One last thing. At my meet my pole that I usally jump on was orginally soft in the begining of the when my step was about 2ft in . Then I remebered the blindfold trainjng and my step moved back a foot. But the pole for some reason made me land shorter than usall. It never gave me that much spring. Do you think snice my step moved back lead me to jump up which led the pole to give me more spring? Just something I have been thinking a bout.
Your only as good as your last jump.

kwantana
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12 feet
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Bell

Unread postby kwantana » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:31 pm

when i jump i always make sure im not looking at the bar or box. i always jump better when im looking off in the trees or something you just gotta trust your steps, and as long as your steps were taken right in theory you should be able to vault better
"Put some swing on it"

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”