Longer Approach Run?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Mcrich114
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Longer Approach Run?

Unread postby Mcrich114 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:47 am

Im sure this topic has been asked here before, but when searching for it I was unable to get any direct information.

In short- When Should someone implement a longer approach run?

I recently got on a 13' 150 (I weight 138) and Im vaulting in the neighborhood of 12' with a bungee on a six left approach, and Im debating whether or not it would be beneficial to move back to 7 or 8 left approach run.

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Re: Longer Approach Run?

Unread postby asaleh » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm no expert but this seemed to help with me. It all depends on how you run. If all u need is one step to accelerate then a 6 steps would great until u get on bigger poles. Now if u start from a slow run to a sprint when u approach then u might benefit from a longer approach. It all depends on your style. Someone like Steve Hooker jumped 19ft from 4 steps because he only needed a couple steps to accelerate. Granted he has a tremendous plant, he didn't need to go from 8 steps. Can u put up a vid. Of your jumps filming the whole approach. I'd like to see how u run.
Your only as good as your last jump.

Mcrich114
PV Newbie

Unread postby Mcrich114 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Pbk58 ... e=youtu.be

Recorded with a potato :P

I do a "gallop" or high knees for the first two steps, out of habit.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 am

Mcrich114 wrote:I do a "gallop" or high knees for the first two steps, out of habit.

I counted more than 2 steps of gallop.

To a degree, it's good to expirement with different types of runs, etc.

But if you really want to be the best you can be, then question yourself on whether or not any of your "habits" are GOOD habits that help you improve your speed on takeoff, or BAD habits that prevent you from hitting your takeoff at top speed.

Now look at 1,001 different vids of vaulters that are jumping higher than you. How many do you see that gallop like you do? And why do you think that is?

How many steps would it take you to get to full speed WITHOUT the gallop, and how many steps does it take you WITH the gallop?

If you can answer these questions retrospectively (with maybe some help from your coach or vaulting buddies), then you may answer your own question on whether or not you should lengthen your run.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Mcrich114
PV Newbie

Unread postby Mcrich114 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 am

Sorry I meant to say first two Lefts,

I realize the approach run is quite sloppy, and its something that I have wrestled with since I started vaulting.

This video is from 1 year ago, its shows how I used to run, with a hop at the end right before the vault:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl9rEsBQqW8

In order to fix this issue, I began galloping at the beginning of my vault so I could at least have my mid and take off on point with decent acceleration. Which worked well enough to take me from 8'6" to 11'

Im still working to fix my run, but its hard to break a habit Ive relied on for so long.

In order to increase my accelleration at the end, Im looking to go to a 7 left run where I gallop the first two lefts and sprint out the other 5, but Im unsure if this will work and I will be testing it on our next vault day.

Are there any drills that can help me fix my run? And is there anything else I have to work on to fix my vault?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm

I don't think you get what I'm suggesting. Comparing your 2 vids (a year apart), you've just switched from one bad habit to another - that's not an improvement. I'm suggesting that you need to FIX your BAD habit of your gallop BEFORE you worry about increasing your run length.

The reason is that you're not accelerating fast enough with your present run, due to your 4-step gallop.

You might as well reduce your run by one or two lefts, and then you will HAVE TO accelerate during your ENTIRE run - no time to gallop then!

In fact, as an exercise, why don't you try that? If you reduce your run by 1 left (2 steps), then you should be able to stay on your same pole, and just accelerate faster. That should result in the same speed on takeoff.

However, if you reduce your run by 2 lefts (4 steps - which is the length of your gallop), then you might want to consider lowering your grip or going to a lighter pole - until you've improved your run to the point of having the same speed ON TAKEOFF without the gallop (and with 4 less steps) than you have now with the gallop. Whatever you decide, be cautious so you don't stall out. By being cautious, I don't mean run slow. I mean use the right combination of grip and pole (lower grip or lighter pole). Run FULL speed from the very first step.

Of these 2 choices, I think reducing your run by just 2 steps would feel best for you, as reducing it by 4 steps would probably be too drastic of a change for you. So try 2, and then once you're doing good with 2 (on the SAME pole as you use now), then try 4.

Isn't it ironic that you asked if you should INCREASE the length of your run, and I'm advising you to DECREASE it? What do other coaches reading this thread think of this idea?

But first, I think you need to be motivated to eliminate the gallop. Are you?

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

jam354
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter

Unread postby jam354 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:48 pm

I think decreasing your run would be a great idea!!

Also think the hops at the end were due to being outside. You were most likely steering because you were way out. When I was in high school I chronically did the same thing until someone in the know told me to move up 5ft!!! Pr'd that day.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”