penetration

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
csuvaulter
PV Fan

penetration

Unread postby csuvaulter » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:59 pm

I have always had good penetration into the pit (my standards have always been at 80 cm), and I though it was because I had a good plant. Before this year, I basically would hit my plant and sit on the pole. But this year, I have learned how to get my hips up much better and shoot up the pole rather than out like a flag. My problem is that I am not getting into the pit as well now, even though my run and plant are the same, so I can't get on my big poles. Is this normal to not have as much penetration if you get more vertical? I am very confused :confused: ...any suggestions?
Thanks!

wlanier

Big poles are all in the hands

Unread postby wlanier » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:51 pm

- Reaching up, and then moving hands forward keeps you balanced under the pole: balance is the key to penetration.

As long as you have a good tall plant, and a strong drive knee, then I'd assume the problem is in 'trying' to penetrate. If you can, look at some video of yourself, as well as a few pros, and notice the following:

By ‘trying’ I mean, many vaulters really try to jam their bottom arm out. Instead, be tall at the plant, allow the bottom arm to extend UP, then as your hips begin to move forward, bring your hands forward in the classic 'row' motion. Remember, the row is not intended to move the pole, but is really a mechanism to keep your hips behind/even with your bottom hand (balanced). Thinking of it this way will help you relax the tendency to 'jam' your bottom hand forward. As in all things vault, there is no single right answer, (especially from someone on the net who hasn't see your vault), but my athletes are taught this way and I drill myself in the same manner, and I’ve seen many shallow jumpers fix their jump this way.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”