Stretching at takeoff help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Stretching at takeoff help

Unread postby asaleh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello, throughout my recent practice i have been stretching my penultimate step and has lead me to be very in on every jump. Can anybody tell me off how to fix this problem. (Any drills would be great). Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh heres a video if any one wants to see what im doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb8889EHpOw
Your only as good as your last jump.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Stretching at takeoff help

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:18 pm

You should be using DJ's mid mark chart. My guess is that your step is a little out to begin with, and you are overcompensating.

Another contributor is that your plant motion is a little slow. Your feet are timing up with the motion of your hands. When your hands move slow, your feet move slow, and you overstride.

Practice your plant motion, and focus on the position when you are on your right foot (penultimate step). You right hand should be at the right side of your forehead. If it is only at your ear, it is too low, and your plant is behind.

asaleh
PV Fan
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks #TEAMKENDRICKS

Unread postby asaleh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I went out and tried to work on what you said. Also, i was trying to not drop the bottom arm as much as i could. I have some video could you please see if im on the right track. I would really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1AYH4wRbyM
Your only as good as your last jump.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Your timing is pretty good, but the positions need work.

Right before you initiate your plant, your left hand drops below your elbow. This forces you to have a stright wrist, so that you have to swing the bottom hand around like a windshield wiper when you start your plant. This slows the plant down. Watch the videos on this page. http://artofthevault.com/the-plant-simp ... specified/ Start the run with your elbow down, and with the wrist cocked up.

Also, narrow your grip. Practice letting the pole tip drop with minimal resistance from you bottom hand. This will force you to keep the pole tip up a little higher for a little longer.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”