Wide vs Narrow grip

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
bzugar
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Wide vs Narrow grip

Unread postby bzugar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:35 pm

So i have a dilemna, i naturally vault with a wide grip thats a full arms length or slightly greater and im on 13' 13'6 and 14' poles but im not getting fully vertical, i get my shins to my hands and i come off of the pole then. My coaches keep telling me to have a narrower grip but that feels really uncomfortable for me because i have really long arms and am 6'1 so i feel like i dont have room so to speak. any help?

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Re: Wide vs Narrow grip

Unread postby botakatobi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Listen to your coach. A wide grip such as yours will hamper your swing at this stage of learning.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:48 pm

botakatobi wrote:Listen to your coach. A wide grip such as yours will hamper your swing at this stage of learning.

Yes, listen to your coach.

Your milage may vary by an inch or two either way, but in general, your grip width should be approximately 22 inches - give or take. What is it right now? Don't try to reduce it in one fell swoop - try reducing it by a few inches at a time, over a few practices.

A wide grip will also cause problems in planting as high as possible, and for someone with your PR will also cause you to put too much pressure on your bottom arm - because you won't have sufficient strength to put all (or most) of your weight on your top arm only. This will also hamper your swing.

Your issues on the top half of your vault are all due to issues in the bottom half of your vault, starting with your run, plant, takeoff, stretch to C, and swing. A good "top half" (getting fully vertical) is the result of resolving all these earlier issues.

Please advise what the distance is between your hands. My grip width was 22 inches, and I think Bubka's were similar. I'm 6-0, and Bubka was the same. 6-1 isn't that much taller, and there's plenty of other vaulters much taller than 6-1 that are able to handle a relatively narrow grip, so that shouldn't be the problem. It may be just a psychological problem that you have at the moment.

You need to get past this incorrect assumption, and make a decision to not let psychological issues like this affect your thought process on how to improve your technique. You will have plenty more of these types of issues in the future, so you just need to tackle them head-on, instead of letting them divert your attention from the real technical issues with your vaulting technique.

I think you need to ask your coaches to review with you how you can change (and improve) your pole carry and your plant with a narrower grip, and then work on that. I think THAT'S the real problem that you need to work on! :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Todd Haire
PV Fan
Expertise: Former High School vaulter, Masters vaulter, fan
Lifetime Best: 3.81
Favorite Vaulter: Bill Halverson

Unread postby Todd Haire » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:42 pm

I have to disagree that a wide grip causes a problem with swing to inversion.
One sees it stated quite often as if it were an irrefutable gospel.
Let me use the example of my friend "Soar Like An Eagle".
He is about 5'11" and jumped 17'6" in 1980. He uses a really wide handgrip and at age 55+ uses great technique to routinely jump a foot over his grip.
After watching and training with him for a decade I am convinced that what a vaulter does, or does not do with the bottom arm is critical.
Look at Galfione or Hartwig or Mesnil. Can you say that a wide grip hindered their success?
Is this athlete's hand spread causing difficulties and narrowing his hand spread will cure it?
The answer may be "not necessarily."

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Ask Bubka and he will tell you that beginning vaulters need to learn the basics of vaulting on a pole that does not bend.

Straight pole vaulters over the last 150 years found that their swing and pull was better performed with a narrow grip.

Once the swing is perfected and the vaulter can jump well over their grip on a stiff pole, fiberglass technique can be introduced with a somewhat wider hand spread.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 am

Look at Galfione or Hartwig or Mesnil. Can you say that a wide grip hindered their success?

Yes.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:29 pm

CoachEric wrote:

Yes.
:yes:
This is just another way of looking at the classic Petrov Method v. Drive Method (Dial Method) controversy.

Along with the wider grip, vaulters like Galfione, Hartwig, and Mesnil took off more "under", "rowed" with their arms (even if ever-so-slightly), and had a slight delay in their swing (immediately after they "tucked").

Although they all cleared 5.95m plus, I personally believe that they could have vaulted higher had they used the Petrov Model.

Please note that attempting to convert to the Petrov Model after jumping thousands and thousands of times with a different technique is extremely hard to do, and is something that's probably not recommended to attempt in the twilight years of your career.

However, for a HS or young college vaulter, it should be relatively easy to focus on the more technically sound (based on "physics" principles) Petrov Model.

What you will notice with young vaulters in the 3.00-5.00m range (and even Masters in that range) is that they will have a much more pronounced delay after their "tuck", which kills their upwards momentum. And yes, it all begins with the grip! :idea:

The physics of a narrower grip should be obvious - you can plant taller without reaching, keeping better body posture thru the plant and takeoff.

And for a HS vaulter like bzugar (less muscular than an elite vaulter), I think the narrower grip will result in more of a swinging (and less of a muscular bottom arm pushing) action, which is more efficient.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 am

Good morning,

There is too close and too wide.......

It effects the run, pole drop, plant and swing... Plus the size pole you use...

Grip the pole with you top hand and grab the pole with the bottom by measuring with the thump in y
The arm pit..

The grip should be ... With the pole held with the top hand at the hip bone the bottom hand is directly in front of the sternum, about 10" out. This is at the start of the run with the pole at about 75 degrees..

Dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”