About being inverted.

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
OAKPV2004
PV Follower

About being inverted.

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:05 pm

When you get inverted is it correct to pull down on the pole, Like doing a pull up, upside down on the pole, OR are you supposed to just be sprung off of the pole. I have been pulling on the pole and didn't know if this is the correct method. :confused:

vaulter580
PV Whiz

inverted

Unread postby vaulter580 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:50 am

you do pull down on the pole but not like doing a pull up.
you pull with your right shoulder as if you are doing a shrug type movement.
(pulling with your arms will only result in a "premature evacuation", which means it will send your legs flagging at the bar)
try to get your right shoulder lower than your left.

this is just part of my theory on the pole vault and if you have anny question about my creditability i am a 5.49m jumper and i train at bell athletics
(i think that there are too many people getting mislead by vaulters that give advice online and they themselves dont have an understanding of how the vault really works)
if this move seems confussing just pm me or if you have any more questions just ask me dub or lon
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:35 pm

Alright, I understand that, and that is probably why i have been flagging out. I'll see how it goes next time i vault. :yes:

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:01 pm

Also, Are you supposeed to go pull to the hip of your top hand or the opposite? :confused:

vaulter580
PV Whiz

inverted

Unread postby vaulter580 » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:02 pm

earl bell says go right hand right hip,
just pull your right hand up your right hip when you get inverted and keep pressure on the right shoulder until the pole throws you
BZ

Arkansas State University

sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

monopoly00
PV Wannabe

Unread postby monopoly00 » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:56 pm

Are there any drills that can help show me how to get inverted. Whenever I vault it looks like I am sitting in a rocking chair in mid-air.
Trying to get vertical

keelowman
PV Nerd

Unread postby keelowman » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:09 am

monopoly00 wrote:Are there any drills that can help show me how to get inverted. Whenever I vault it looks like I am sitting in a rocking chair in mid-air.

There are many ways you can practice inverting, since I have no coach I do alot of bar work. Levers, pull overs and c swings are good. Also if you have a delta bar ( pull up bar with no middle), it is really easy to invert.
Lever - Hang from the bar with regular grip, swing both of your legs up to the bar at the same time while pushing with your arms. While doing this drop your shoulders and you should be inverted straight, when straight pull up a little.
Pull over - Just like a lever but you shoot your legs over the horizontal plain of the bar and try to pull up with the bar hitting you chest. The higher the bar hits your chest the better your pull.
You can also hang and swing your feet up to the bar, bar work is great for inverting, it builds up your back and helps with muscle memory.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:04 am

I agree that horizontal bar work if executed properly will help teach you the principles to inversion. My experience with HS kids is that if you can't invert on a bar you can't on a pole. The objective of bar work should be to learn to swing, long on straight arms. Too many I see don't use their trail leg momentum(don't stay long in the initial swing) and apply a pulling pressure with their arms (arms not completely straight) while trying to invert. Remember the objective is to swing to invert not pull.You don't really need to be very strong if executed properly.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”