Alternate Models to the Vault (Petrov, Huffman Roll, etc.)

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
altius
PV Rock Star

Re: Alternate Models to the Vault (Petrov, Huffman Roll, etc.)

Unread postby altius » Tue May 28, 2013 7:24 pm

"He stated that the biggest difference in a 5.50 pole vaulter and a 6.00 pole vaulter is not their technique, it is how athletic they are. He strongly recommended emerging elite athletes to focus less on vaulting and more on getting stronger and faster."

Well that is not what Bubka thought - he believed his technique was the critical factor in his performances. Athleticism is always the soft option for Americans who would still prefer not to use the 'Russian' Petrov/Bubka model because anyone can improve their physical qualities without too much thought - but they have to understand the Petrov model and train specifically for it - repetitive drills do not always sit with well with a macho culture.

Glad you are happy Chaebo -but I believe that this discussion - while interesting - is way above your pay grade and will do little or nothing to help you to help your athletes get better. Take on and commit to the Petrov model - and you will be able to do just that.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Chaebo
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Assistant Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Chaebo » Tue May 28, 2013 8:28 pm

altius wrote:Glad you are happy Chaebo -but I believe that this discussion - while interesting - is way above your pay grade and will do little or nothing to help you to help your athletes get better. Take on and commit to the Petrov model - and you will be able to do just that.

I appreciate your concern and I am attempting to be very careful what I pull in here. A purpose for this was to actually see what common grounds where in each vault system. Such as an active pole drop. I am trying to get away from the arguments of the other forums because they are overwhelming with no one agreeing on anything. Like I said before the person who refuses to be open to others knowledge is simply limiting themselves to what they know. To improve we must continue learning.

As for the Petrov model I have began to play with it and have had good results thus far. But, with 2 jumpers preparing for a state meet it is well to late to completely take on a new model at this point of THIS season. As of now the plan is to continue to try to improve on what we can for the remainder of the season and at the beginning of the summer we will begin working on our pole carries to try and get better consistancy in our steps. I am also ATTEMPTING to learn more about the 6 stride mid mark. The next step is to focus more on our sand vault and straight poleing to attempt to start incorperating the Petrov Model.

I know it's a lot but I have hard working kids who love the sport and trust me as their coach. So, If i do not attempt this to the best of my ability I won't be able to live with the thought that I may have kept them from being the best that they could be. With that said I am also taking a gamble here and if i am not succesful I will suffer the same fate!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

Only one word to express the advantages of the Petrov/Bubka model.............Women!
It is this individuals belief that the best thing that ever happened to vaulting was women. Women will work on the technical aspect of anything more than a man (generally speaking). And, they are far less apt to argue with the results or nature (physics) of this model. All the successful vaulters recognized in this discussion have been very athletic men (strong and fast) capable of carrying a big pole, planting it with hands spread 3-3.5' on the pole pushing with great might and launch themselves like rockets; never mind any real technique. Average athletes (most high school and many collegiate individuals) are not capable of "muscling" a pole to achieve competitive heights. However, through good technical development, many can be successful beyond the American male "macho" premise of vaulting; "how do I bend the pole?" Hey, look at this years' men DII national champion. Nothing but technique! Look for him in the next Olympics.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 am

vquestpvc wrote: " Hey, look at this years' men DII national champion. Nothing but technique! Look for him in the next Olympics.

Any chance of some film of this vaulter?? :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Contact Tim St. Lawrence at the Flying Circus PVC in New York. By the way, the young man is a freshman.

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 pm

-Nick

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice jump!

But not a free takeoff. He's quite a bit under.

vquestpvc wrote: All the successful vaulters recognized in this discussion have been very athletic men (strong and fast) capable of carrying a big pole, planting it with hands spread 3-3.5' on the pole ...

Correction: More like 20" to 26" apart. 30" at most. Certainly not 36"-42".

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”