critique my jump

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
yung_vaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: renaud lavillenie

critique my jump

Unread postby yung_vaulter » Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 pm

yung_vaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: renaud lavillenie

Re: critique my jump

Unread postby yung_vaulter » Fri May 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Chaebo
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Assistant Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Chaebo » Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Well Im all about safety but I think the first thing you should do is take off all of those pads you got on they are weighing you down A LOT. Secondly, I can't help but think something is wrong with your approach run since it's about 40 yards off the runway. And finally tell all of those people in the ugly uniforms to get out of your way they are making it very difficult and causing major distractions. Or, you could just post up the correct footage showing pole vault instead of football O:-)

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 25, 2013 1:11 am

I was confused at first too, but instead of watching the football vid, just scroll down to the 2 PV vids - one in 2012 and another one from May 23, 2013.

Wow! What a great improvement in less than 15 months! I know it's not easy to PV when the football season ties you down for most of the summer and fall.

In general, I think you just lack experience, and it's hard to get that when you're a two-sport guy.

You've got good natural speed and strength. You just need a hands-on coach, and practice, practice, practice!

Despite your natural speed and strength, a good coach will get you running much faster down the runway, taking off with a higher plant, and swinging a lot faster. Also, you probably lack the six-pack needed for PV (despite your overall strength), so you should work on that - even during football season. Situps, weights, etc.

And finally - I don't know how to say this tactfully, so I'll just say it ...

In your football vid, you made some nice tackles, and you seemed to have a knack for getting quickly to the ball carrier.

I think you may stand a good chance at making some good money in the NFL some day, but you're probably not going to make a dime as a vaulter. I'm betting on your football odds. :yes:

But I sure hope you're having fun during the "off-season" by pole-vaulting! One thing about PV - there's no one trying to block you or tackle you as you run down the runway. It's just you against the bar! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”