Help Moving to a bigger pole. (NEED HELP FAST)

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
howard009
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Haley Thompson

Help Moving to a bigger pole. (NEED HELP FAST)

Unread postby howard009 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I am 5'10" and 173 lbs I run a 100m in 12.1. I currently vaulting on a 12' pole and I am dominating it, I have a 13'6 175 lb pole that I cannot get up on. I just fall back, not even landing on a mat. Has anyone else had trouble with this? I really just need advice I basically had to teach myself to vault from YouTube and Vault Camps (Inexperienced Coaching). I have videos but they won't upload, I can Email them. Thank You!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Help Moving to a bigger pole. (NEED HELP FAST)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:15 am

Hold 12' on the 13'6 pole. It might not bend, but you'll get in the pit. Try to borrow a 13'175.

howard009
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Haley Thompson

Unread postby howard009 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 pm

I have tried that haha I still couldn't get it! Thank you though

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed May 15, 2013 8:24 am

My first guess is that your hands are not up at takeoff. It is easy to "dominate" a 12' pole since the angle to vertical is greater at take off even though your hands aren't up. However, if your hands are up and your body gets penetration into the pit, the cord of the pole (think of the string on a bow......in vaulting you) can actually be shorter allowing you to get into the pit. Another way to think of it is imagine jumping to a high bar. The hands MUST be high to reach the bar. Additionally, the hands have to move up fast. Think of it as doing a basketball layup. A player drives to the basket, positions his or her body to extend up (take off) and drives the hands up with the ball; or at least the ball hand or top hand on the pole.

My second guess is that you are decelerating at take off in anticipation of being on a longer pole; or maybe you decelerate anyway.. Typical and smart that your body will do that to protect you.

There are is no "fast help"; only smart help which takes time. But, you can make some changes that can make a fast difference. Get away from the pit and practice your approach on the track. Important to have someone, anyone watch you plant. Have your plant watched at the take off and have it watch from behind to see that your hands are high at plant. If possible, use a slide box. Don't have one, just get a soda case box (maybe several as you will destroy it) and plant into it. And even before this, practice your take off into the long jump sand pit; 4 total steps are enough. Work on taking off properly (talk to high jump coach who actually can help you with pole vault too) and jumping up over the pole tip (free take off).

These are no quick fixes only suggestions to help develop better technique which will allow you to effectively use a pole. A jump from 12' to 13'6" is big, but a 13'6" pole is not that difficult particularly for your height, weight and speed. My vaulter weighs in at 148 and vaults on a 14' / 170. That, however, was accomplished through 100s of reps with reasonably good technique. One question that comes to mind is how many steps do you use in your approach? A total of 14 is optimal, but 12 can work as well; 10 can work too depending on your approach and take off.

Good luck, work at developing proper skills and be safe; above all be safe.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am

As vquestpvc has said it is difficult/well nigh impossible to provide assistance in this situation - needs black magic I am afraid, All I can tell you is that someone 5'10 /170 who can run 100 yards in 12.1 could easily be using a 15' 175 if they had decent technique. Really - even a 13'175 is ridiculous with even those parameters - unless - THOUGHT - you are in fact a girl. Not trying to be rude bu rather to suggest that you have much more potential than you have even begun to realise! How old are you?? Get the film up somehow - Utube??? Yes Good luck!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”