Straight pole vs. bending

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
mbomb99
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'06
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Straight pole vs. bending

Unread postby mbomb99 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Okay so I can do a perfect pop up and get perfectly inverted doing straight pole, but when I go to a bigger pole and start bending the pole, I can't get to get inverted. What is so different in a bending pole? Why can't I get inverted on a bending pole? Any drills that can help out.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Straight pole vs. bending

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 am

mbomb99 wrote: What is so different in a bending pole? Why can't I get inverted on a bending pole?

I'm guessing that you raised your grip when you went to the bigger pole. :D

Seriously, it's because with the low grip on the popup, your technique is "perfect". That's good, because that proves that you now have a good feel for how to roll the pole forwards, how to swing, and how to invert!

The error that you're probably making is that you expect that bent-pole technique should be altogether different than your popups technique. It shouldn't be!

My suggestion is to GRADUALLY increase your number of lefts, GRADUALLY increase your grip, but CONTINUE to plant, swing, and invert as per your popups.

And ALWAYS make sure that you're gripping low enough so that the pole rolls forwards with enough momentum to land you in the Coach's Box with the standards at 80 (32.5").

Try this and you will see what I mean. :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

mbomb99
PV Newbie

Unread postby mbomb99 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 pm

KirkB wrote:
mbomb99 wrote: What is so different in a bending pole? Why can't I get inverted on a bending pole?

I'm guessing that you raised your grip when you went to the bigger pole. :D

Seriously, it's because with the low grip on the popup, your technique is "perfect". That's good, because that proves that you now have a good feel for how to roll the pole forwards, how to swing, and how to invert!

The error that you're probably making is that you expect that bent-pole technique should be altogether different than your popups technique. It shouldn't be!

My suggestion is to GRADUALLY increase your number of lefts, GRADUALLY increase your grip, but CONTINUE to plant, swing, and invert as per your popups.

And ALWAYS make sure that you're gripping low enough so that the pole rolls forwards with enough momentum to land you in the Coach's Box with the standards at 80 (32.5").

Try this and you will see what I mean. :idea:

Kirk

Okay so I think one of my problems is that I can't drop my shoulders. Like my hips will get to my shoulders but they stop there because I can't drop my shoulders. How exactly do you drop your shoulders?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 pm

mbomb99 wrote: I think one of my problems is that I can't drop my shoulders. Like my hips will get to my shoulders but they stop there because I can't drop my shoulders. How exactly do you drop your shoulders?

It seems to me that you didn't hear a word I said. :no:

The problem is not that you can't "drop your shoulders". The problem is that you're not progressing GRADUALLY from a short run to a longer run, and from a low grip to a higher grip. :idea:

Here's a question for you: When you do your popups, do you drop your shoulders? :confused:

I hope you have a coach to step you thru all this ... GRADUALLY?

I see that your PR is 10-6. What's your grip? Weight? Pole size?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

mbomb99
PV Newbie

Unread postby mbomb99 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:23 pm

KirkB wrote:
mbomb99 wrote: I think one of my problems is that I can't drop my shoulders. Like my hips will get to my shoulders but they stop there because I can't drop my shoulders. How exactly do you drop your shoulders?

It seems to me that you didn't hear a word I said. :no:

The problem is not that you can't "drop your shoulders". The problem is that you're not progressing GRADUALLY from a short run to a longer run, and from a low grip to a higher grip. :idea:

Here's a question for you: When you do your popups, do you drop your shoulders? :confused:

I hope you have a coach to step you thru all this ... GRADUALLY?

I see that your PR is 10-6. What's your grip? Weight? Pole size?

Kirk

12' 7" pole. Weight: 145. Grip at the top. And i also use a 14 foot pole grip at 13. Weight 150. I do get my shoulders back on a pop up.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 am

mbomb99 wrote: 12' 7" pole. Weight: 145. Grip at the top. And i also use a 14 foot pole grip at 13. Weight 150. I do get my shoulders back on a pop up.

Thanks for your numbers. Now if you're getting your shoulders "back" on a popup, then just work your way back to more lefts as you work your way up to higher grips - without losing that sensation of getting your shoulders "back". GRADUALLY! :yes:

Kirk

mbomb99
PV Newbie

Unread postby mbomb99 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 am

KirkB wrote:
mbomb99 wrote: 12' 7" pole. Weight: 145. Grip at the top. And i also use a 14 foot pole grip at 13. Weight 150. I do get my shoulders back on a pop up.

Thanks for your numbers. Now if you're getting your shoulders "back" on a popup, then just work your way back to more lefts as you work your way up to higher grips - without losing that sensation of getting your shoulders "back". GRADUALLY! :yes:

Kirk

Thank you very much. I will listen to your advice and start from the bottom and move up GRADUALLY!! thank you once again.

ClintonMagus
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent of a Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11-6
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby ClintonMagus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am

I am just a part-time dad/coach, but this is the hardest thing to get vaulters to do, especially if they have some history of success. I can't tell you how many of our folks have improved significantly, immediately, by doing non-intuitive stuff such as dropping their grip, moving to a shorter run, etc., and thus gaining more control. The funny thing about this is that it works EVERY TIME!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 pm

ClintonMagus wrote: I can't tell you how many of our folks have improved significantly, immediately, by doing non-intuitive stuff such as dropping their grip, moving to a shorter run, etc., and thus gaining more control. The funny thing about this is that it works EVERY TIME!
:yes:

Kirk

mbomb99
PV Newbie

Unread postby mbomb99 » Sat May 25, 2013 4:43 pm

@KirkB can you critique my jump? I am the guy jumping on tyhe black track and blue pit. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1300652/highlights/52516088

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Sure.

Your plant is a bit late, you're taking off under, and then you're tucking your trail leg up too soon.

If you had your plant directly above your head on takeoff, you wouldn't have landed to the right side of the pit. Plant earlier, and stretch your top hand directly over your head as high as you can - but a bit forwards.

Also, you need to shorten your last step a bit so that you have a slight forward lean on takeoff (and don't take off under), and then swing your trail leg LONG.

By "under" I mean that your takeoff foot should be a couple inches behind the plumb line (straight vertical line) of your top hand on takeoff - not a couple inches in from there. You're several inches too far under.

If you improve most of these things, you'll raise your PR by a foot in no time. It does take practice though. It might take a couple dozen jumps a day for a couple of weeks to get into the groove. If you jump 2-3 times a week, this may be about 100 jumps. Just try to improve ONE thing on each jump, and by your 100th jump, you'll see some really good improvements. But don't jump 24 times in a practice just because I suggested it. Quit for the day when you're too tired to continue with good technique. But as long as you're improving on every jump, keep jumping!

I hope you have a coach to help you learn all this. It's really hard to do this on your own. Good luck!

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”