Improving my form. HELP!!!

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
mbomb99
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'06
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Improving my form. HELP!!!

Unread postby mbomb99 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 am

I need help. Like I just don't know what to fix. Here is a video of me jumping 10'6 with a 13 foot grip with about a 165 weight grip. Also, give me so drills I can do to fix a specific part.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1300652/highlights/49612863

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Improving my form. HELP!!!

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am

1. Don't throw your head back. Look at your top hand as it comes into view.

2. Don't pull or row and the hands forward. The forward pressure you are applying onthe pole is stopping your swing and the rotation of the pole towards the back of the pit. Practice keeping the hands as high as possible throughout the vault. Try thinking about about keep an open shoulder angle. A great drill for this is straight pole vaulting from a very short run (6 steps, or 3 lefts) using a close grip and swinging over a bungee. The close grip will help give you the feeling of having an open shoulder angle, and having a bungee up with the standards back about 45-50 inches behind the box will help you learn to swing without pulling.

3. Develop your swing. Get on a high bar or some rings and practice swinging fast to the top.

Overall your technique is pretty good, and you're going to go a lot higher than 10'6" - probably soon. Stick with it!

mbomb99
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'06
Favorite Vaulter: Lawrence Johnson

Unread postby mbomb99 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 pm

CoachEric wrote:1. Don't throw your head back. Look at your top hand as it comes into view.

2. Don't pull or row and the hands forward. The forward pressure you are applying onthe pole is stopping your swing and the rotation of the pole towards the back of the pit. Practice keeping the hands as high as possible throughout the vault. Try thinking about about keep an open shoulder angle. A great drill for this is straight pole vaulting from a very short run (6 steps, or 3 lefts) using a close grip and swinging over a bungee. The close grip will help give you the feeling of having an open shoulder angle, and having a bungee up with the standards back about 45-50 inches behind the box will help you learn to swing without pulling.

3. Develop your swing. Get on a high bar or some rings and practice swinging fast to the top.

Overall your technique is pretty good, and you're going to go a lot higher than 10'6" - probably soon. Stick with it!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your advice. I was wondering if there were any pole vault camps in Indiana I could go to. do you know any ?

pgvirtual
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent, youth coach
Favorite Vaulter: Lavillenie

Unread postby pgvirtual » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 am

I believe that you need to fix the beginning of the swing first, and in particular how you should swing your takeoff leg STRAIGHT until it is about horizontal.
You can look at Clymers videoanalyses of Bubka, that is a good model.
When it comes to drills then the basic stiff pole drills where you stay behind the pole in a telemark position (free knee high, takeoff knee straight) should be helpful.
Then long swings (on a stiff pole and on a pole that bends some) into the pit from a short approach run (4-6 steps). Again teh focus should be on swinging the takeoff leg straight.
When you master this you will find that inversion becomes less of a power move.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”