shooting up not out

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

shooting up not out

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm

any tips would be nice on how to shoot more vertical rather than "out" torwards the crossbar. thanks in advance.

Heres a video of my first practice today. first time jumping in over 9 months...just came off shoulder surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUkhsSpr ... 5g&index=1

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: shooting up not out

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 am

Here's a similar thread that you might be interested in:

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28951

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 am

thanks for the reply! Now i know there is no magical fix to this and the best way to go about fixing this is doing numerous high bar drills but unfortunatly due to my surgery, high bar drills are out of the question for me. So basicaly what im asking do you have any "tips" on how i can get myself to rotate father back on my shoulders?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm sorry to hear that due to your surgery you can't do highbar drills. You will have to explain this a bit clearer, because if you can't do highbar drills, then you sure as heck can't pole vault! :confused:

Without knowing any more, my advice right now is to wait until you're healthy enough to do highbar drills. I cannot think of a scenario where you should be vaulting if you're on some sort of doctor's orders to avoid highbar drills (or if you can't do them for any other reason) .

Highbar drills are much safer than vaulting, and you need most of the same muscles to be healthy for both.

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 am

LOL somehow i knew this was the response i would get. I really hate switching the topic from "shooting up" but i would like to make some sense of this. when i pole vault my bottom arm(one i had surgery on) is not completly straight above my head. it is more at a 90 degree angle. When i do highbar drills my arm is completly stretched and the weight of my body really stretches my shoulder out causing me pain. Now i know during the vault i am hanging from the pole at one point but for some reason my shoulder never hurts while i pole vault. Maybe you could give me some insight to this? i have an idea of why i can pole vault but not perform high bar drills: coaches have told me i have an exeptionaly fast swing and i invert very quickly so im thinking im not actually hanging from the pole for very long?

Now i would take your advice and wait but track season has started and its my senior year. I beleive i really have a chance to get the school record and break it(15'). so basically im going to keep pole vaulting enless my shoulder starts causing me problems during the vault, which i doubt will happen

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 pm

OK, I see what you mean now.

I've never had an injury like that, so I have no experience to draw upon in advising you what you should do in your situation.

Has your doctor given you any rehab exercises to do, or advice on what type of sports or gymnastic movements you can or can't do? He must have at least advised you how to carefully stretch it out - to get your full range of motion back?

You're not 100% healthy until you can hang and swing on a highbar without pain, and without fear of pain.

Maybe someone else on PVP can give you some rehab advice?

I can't help you beyond being advising you to take your doctor's rehab advice seriously and be very careful not to re-injure yourself.

Kirk Bryde

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 am

Lol i don't want rehab advice but thank you. i can do ANY drill with a POLE VAULT POLE and thats about it. Now with that given info do you by chance have any advice on how to perfect my top end?

Dr. Lebolt was my surgeron, the name probably doesnt mean much to you, but he operated on drew brees and many other NFL football players. He told me that my shoulder was hands down the worst shoulder he has every seen. i had A LOT wrong with it. he warned me numerous times: never to any excercises above my head. Military presses, pullups, chinups, and unfortunatly that includes high bar drills. he said for the rest of my life stay away from these excercises so i am at 100% with my shoulder.

So now its not about watiing and rehabing my shoulder its about perfecting my top end before the end of the season so i can hopefully get the school record! 15'! i want to hit 15'2!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”