Dying for a PR

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
bennieanne
PV Newbie
Expertise: Freshman College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Mary Saxer

Dying for a PR

Unread postby bennieanne » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:01 pm

I am a senior this year in high school. My PR was set in my last meet of the season at region - I cleared 10'8". Pole Vault is coed in Utah, and the state qualifying height is 12'7". I'm way stronger and faster this season, yet I haven't gone over 10'6" since the season started in March. Last year I broke my record with a Spirit Pole 12ft 130lb and I'm currently bending the crap out of it. The problem is that our next pole up is a 13ft 135lb and I can't get into it. I'm also having trouble getting upside down.
Any suggestions? I'm dying here! My goal is to qualify for state this year but I'm not getting higher in the meets!
Thanks!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Dying for a PR

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

I would go from a shorter run on your 12'130 pole for now. Like if you are running from 7 lefts, do 6 lefts instead, or even 5, until you are not blowing through the pole. If you are bending the pole a lot, but not landing deep, lower your grip.

It's about a 15-25lb jump to the 13'135, so it's not surprising you are having trouble with it. Do pole runs with it from 7 lefts, and spend some time at practice planting it from that run with a 12' grip and no swing.

Rhino
PV Pro

Re: Dying for a PR

Unread postby Rhino » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 pm

It breaks my heart to see someone getting worse and worse the more they try. But that is inevitable with a mushy pole. Rainbow Girl is right. The only way to effectively use the small pole is to shorten your run. Don't purposely run slower with your full run. And implore your team to get you a series of poles!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”