Run-up help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Billymc1997
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Run-up help

Unread postby Billymc1997 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm

When I am running down the runway I move my arms up and down inline with the pole. Is this hurting my vault or helping me. Also when I start my run i do a kinda skip thing but my teammates just start running. Does the way I do it help with cadence or is it just an unneeded step? Please help me figure this out.
My run starts at 71 ft idk how many lefts (or rights because I'm a lefty) it is because we do it by feet

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Re: Run-up help

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 am

This question should be moved to beginner. You can get seriously injured if you are gripping too high and not measuring your steps correctly. More information needed. How high are you gripping? what height are you now vaulting ? The skip at the start is not necessary." A good vault starts with the first step". (BTB2)

I start may vaulters with a three step approach and work back from there. So from your right take off foot at the plant, about face, Toe your take off point with your right, first step with your left and have one of your team mates mark your third right foot strike. As you gradually move back, always keep track of the third right out from the plant. I keep a copy of DJ's "Six stride mark and Corresponding Grip" page in my pocket as a guide for my young vaulters.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”