Can't get completely vertical

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Billymc1997
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Can't get completely vertical

Unread postby Billymc1997 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 am

When I'm vaulting without a bar or bungee, I can get completely vertical. When I have a bar or bungee up, I try to swing but I seem to stop in a horizontal position. I don't know if its mental or physical, my standards are at 24 If that helps or not.

Billymc1997
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9ft
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Can't get completely vertical

Unread postby Billymc1997 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 am

Hier4567 wrote:Think maybe you're looking at the bar? That would keep your hips down

Well today at practice, I removed the bar and I seemed to be able to get closer to vertical and turned after but if I don't look at the bar, where should I look

bzugar
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"
Favorite Vaulter: Shawn Barber

Unread postby bzugar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

i knida have the same situation, its probably mental as it is for me. my coaches always tell me to pick a point behind the pit and focus on that, or just look straight ahead and not at the bar.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:58 pm

There's a natural tendency to look at the bar, and if you're jumping 9-11 feet, that's not so bad - you need to know where your body is in relation to the bar.

I suggest that you learn to swing to an inverted position IN THE GYM - on highbar and rings - and then apply what you've learned (and the muscles you've developed) in the gym to your vault technique. Trampoline work (back somersaults and back drops / extensions) will also help you to become more comfortable with being inverted during your vault.

You can also get more completely vertical by lowering your grip and swinging faster. :idea:

As you improve your technique and increase your PRs, you'll have less and less need to look at the bar (or anywhere else). You will learn to become more automatically aware of your "body position in the air", and less on where your eyes are focused.

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”