Stuck In Pike

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
gobie
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Stuck In Pike

Unread postby gobie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Aloha,

I have another vaulter who has the terrible habbit of A) being under by at least 1 foot, and B) staying in her pike. As the pole begins to fling her, she does not pull and her back is completely parallel to the ground the entire ride. As soon as she gets her feet over the bar, she lets them fall and tries to turn as she does it. She ends up short and typically skims the bar on her way down.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with her takeoff, however, we've been trying for a couple of years to help with her step and nothing has worked. I have NEVER dealt with anything like this before and at first I thought it was something that would soon subside... I was wrong. Anyone else have this problem?

Any help would be amazing!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Stuck In Pike

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 am

Again, if she is "under", have her do the previous "run over" drills working the take off.

Secondly, from your description, I'd think she is so ready to go up. It seems that she literally stops vaulting or moving through the vault. If she is piked, she is then ready to "thrust" the hips into the pole to straighten. But, this means getting right into it; no waiting. There are no phases in the pole vault. Swing to pike immediately thrusting the hips into the pole and pull/turn. From your description, it seems like she is "flagging out" which is what most young vaulters do. One drill she can try to do is a short approach (like an inversion drill) and have her swing to pike, thrust the hips and then try turning to land on her belly in the pit. Progress by having her land deeper in the pit on the belly. And then, try a high bungee (2'-3' above her PR) and attempt to kick it. Oh hell, have her clear it!

Especially guys just want to go to bigger poles. Well, they better make 12' on a 13' pole. The key is to keep moving throughout the vault. Now make 13' and a 12' pole. Check out Bubka videos to see the hip thrust and continuous movement.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”