The Fly Away...and some pole problems

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
RunFastJumpHard
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Max Cassinova

The Fly Away...and some pole problems

Unread postby RunFastJumpHard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 am

So my first meet of the year is on Thursday. I'm determined to get myself the school record of 14'7 and then some, but I have been "running" (haha track) into some problems. I've used a six step this year so far and have been getting on poles I didn't even consider last year, on an 8 step. I'm 5'10 ish and 143 lbs. I'm usually do 1.5- 3 - 4 step pop ups on a 12 160" and full runs on a 13 160 skypole and 13'6 165 pacer These have not been able to withstand my new 7 step and the only next pole we have is a 14'7 165 and 175 spirit. This is one part of the problem, the other is my fly away phase.

Whenever I got to extend of the pole and begin to "fly away", it's always at this angle towards the bar, which usually sends me flying towards the far ends of the pit, ( I've only rolled off once). Not wanting my pole selection to hinder me from Thursday, I've been trying the manage using the 13'6 165, but not obtaining the desired outcome of flying straight up of the bar and coming down in the middle of the pit.

Is this all a problem that could be solved with a better pole or holding down some? Or does it require more gusto and a proper extension. Please help!

-other things:
I'm capping every pole I use except during 1.5 and 3 steps
I jumped using a 170 with much better results but the pole wasn't mine or my schools.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: The Fly Away...and some pole problems

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

RunFastJumpHard wrote:I've used a six step this year so far and have been getting on poles I didn't even consider last year, on an 8 step.

...full runs on a 13 160 skypole and 13'6 165 pacer These have not been able to withstand my new 7 step and the only next pole we have is a 14'7 165 and 175 spirit.

...I've been trying the manage using the 13'6 165, but not obtaining the desired outcome of flying straight up of the bar and coming down in the middle of the pit.

with respect to using and vaulting on your 13'6, you likely need to stay at 6Ls with this pole... if I am reading correctly, as you mention blowing through at 7 steps - I am inferring that you are using the terms "steps" interchangeably with "Lefts"

if you will post flex #s for your 13' skypole, your 13'6 pacer and your (2) 14'7 ucs poles that will be helpful in order to determine how far apart these poles are from each other with respect to flex - weight ratings can be pretty general...
PURSUITOF2016

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”