Take off

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Take off

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 am

Ok so I am a sophmore in hs, my pr is 13 feet using a 13'9 145. My problem is that it tend to stride out on my last 3 steps and this is making 6 in under and by that happening it is making my front hand cave in too early and I a, not getting a good swing. Can anyone please tell me some drills or mental advice?

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: Take off

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 pm

Stride can be more than just your run. Without a video, this problem is hard for us fix. With that being said, you can work on your run using 20/20's as describe in Beginner to Bubka by Alan Launders. You can also lay down a measuring tape on a lane of the track, not on the pv runway, and work on your run without the pressure of trying to vault. I use a trowel at the end of the tape to give my athlete a mark to plant the pole into. Slide boxes would be the next progression after a towel.

Remember, the vault is a chain of events. Run, plant, takeoff, and swing at its simplest. Each event affects the next in the chain.

Good luck.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”