Regarding taking off right before pole reaches back of box

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Aggietom
PV Beginner

Regarding taking off right before pole reaches back of box

Unread postby Aggietom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 am

How do you effectively teach this?

A lot of my vaulters don't feel comfortable leaving the ground until there is what they perceive to be a slight loading of the pole.

I realize this kills some velocity.

So what did you do to get over that and how can they become more comfortable with it?

We emphasize tall plant and a takeoff within 4-6" of the back of the box?

Any insight appreciated.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Regarding taking off right before pole reaches back of box

Unread postby CoachEric » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 am

You're talking about a "Free" takeoff. In order for a vaulter to achieve it, there are several prerequisites:
1. Solid approach run with the mid on
2. Good pole carry and accelerating pole drop, with the tip passing eye level as the plant motion starts
3. Correct posture before takeoff
4. Quick feet
5. The biggest one - PERFECT plant motion

Only after the vaulter has a level of mastery over these points can you cue them to "take off before the tip hits," or however you wish to cue it. There are some exceptions for vaulters that are extraordinarily good jumpers, but unless they are doing these things corectly, the free takeoff won't be much help to them anyway.

Aggietom
PV Beginner

Unread postby Aggietom » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks. Familiar with "free" takeoff. Hear lots of controversy about whether to teach it or not. We haven't really. My vaulters are all newbies. I was just wondering how that would come about.

We do a lot of approach and plant work....probably to the point of boredom for some of them. They just want the bungee. You know how it goes.

What verbal cues do you guys use on the plant? I've been saying things like "think tall", "knee up hands up", etc. Sometimes kids respond to things differently, though.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:44 pm

2/4/6 step jumping into a sand pit -with good technique. Stress "JUMP -PLANT". Get the BTB dvd from Neovault. Beginners can master this drill but not be able to transfer the pre jump into a full vault until everything else right as CoachEric states,
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:38 pm

We all love Sean, but is there any particular reason you are recommending the purchase from a web site other than the one that hosts this forum in which you are so active?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm

vaultmd wrote:We all love Sean, but is there any particular reason you are recommending the purchase OF YOUR DVD from a web site other than the one that hosts this forum in which you are so active?
HOPE YOU DONT MIND MD, THE ADDITIONS ARE JUST TO CLARIFY THE SITUATION FOR FOLK WHO DONT LIKE ME ADVERTISING.

Yes there are three reasons -- which cover a range of issues. One - I recommend the dvd because every sale brings me a fortune - or should do except that Sean never pays me! Two - and perhaps the most relevant response to your question, Sean produced the dvd so I always refer folk to him instead of Becca - If you ask her I think she is happy with our arrangement.

Three - I am tired of answering the same questions on PVP week in week out, when there are simple resources available that will provide many of the answers in an easily accessible manner. Stay on pvp for a week in the intermediate and beginner sections and then take a look at the dvd in question. If you don't think it does what I suggest, then it might be worth making the time to develop one that does a better job. Since mine is ten years old that shouldn't be difficult - although on reflection putting together a 2 hour dvd was not simple. In fact Sean and I are planning to do a simpler version with an bigger emphasis on teaching - possibly at Dana Point with Bubba Sparks this summer. :heart:

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:58 pm

The book and DVD give a clear direction of how to coach the vault. You can drive your self mad picking and choosing information on the internet. The narrator with the British accent makes it interesting too. Bough my copy from Becca on cyber Monday. Glad I finally did it.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 pm

grandevaulter wrote:The book and DVD give a clear direction of how to coach the vault. You can drive your self mad picking and choosing information on the internet. The narrator with the British accent makes it interesting too. Bough my copy from Becca on cyber Monday. Glad I finally did it.

The cheque is in the mail -thought I had developed an Aussie accent by now!!!!

Aggietom
PV Beginner

Unread postby Aggietom » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks. I've had and been using BTB materials for years. I just like to keep learning. I originally came from a distance background and coaches who have been around for a while say "it's not about the workouts" meaning we can give you all our material in a book, but unless you're applying it the right way it doesn't matter.

I'm not even going to get into the whole mindset issue.

So when I ask about this....I'm really seeing how people apply. Are they rigid using DJ's chart or is there a lot of flexibility there? Do you simply tell them to plant tall? Am I drilling out too much for the sake of not being "that guy" who has his kids jumping too much?

I like to know what other people do and how they apply it in their situations. I guess I'm inquisitive by nature and I learn by asking a lot of questions to a lot of people.

That being said, BTB is great. Very informative.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 am

Aggietom wrote:Thanks. but unless you're applying it the right way it doesn't matter.

XX Every coach is a work in process -working in a specific context with certain advantages and disadvantages - the key is the kind of continuous reflection that you seem to be involved in

So when I ask about this....I'm really seeing how people apply. Are they rigid using DJ's chart or is there a lot of flexibility there?
XX Have never used it although i think has merit.

Do you simply tell them to plant tall? Am I drilling out too much for the sake of not being "that guy" who has his kids jumping too much?
XXOnce they have moved beyond the play stage our vaulters drill at the beginning of every session - they know they must do that if they want to improve. You certainly don't want to be that guy who has his kids jumping too much. Too many of those around -some even still using a tap!

I like to know what other people do and how they apply it in their situations. I guess I'm inquisitive by nature and I learn by asking a lot of questions to a lot of people.
XX Only way to go!!!

That being said, BTB is great. Very informative.

XX But I have learned a lot since I wrote it and hope to show this fact this summer. The reality is that coaching is a craft - combining science and art and it is very hard to capture that process in a book - at least the book and the dvd together go some way to doing it - but I am better in real life!!!!!!!! Trust me.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:22 am

Note that SWMBO is out shopping!

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 pm

The book states that the drills are not a substitute for performing the vault. Alan does state over and over that the simple things must be done "extraordinarily well". I simply tell the kids that if they perform the drills "extraordinarily well" and can take it to the pit, it will add _________ to their jump. I make a big deal when one can do a certain drill /perfectly. The kids enjoy watching the BTB2 videos too. (

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”