Carbon poles vs. regular

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
lilldpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Carbon poles vs. regular

Unread postby lilldpv » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

I have a 14 year old son, that has been vaulting for about a year and a half, is using a 12'4" pole and weighs 105 lbs. His PR is 10'6" and is close to 11' in practice. Would it be a big adjustment to switch him to a carbon pole? He is ready for the next size and wondered if we should stay away from carbon poles at this age and height?

He uses the Essx brand because of his light weight, he has better success with the flex.

Another question, if you switch to carbon pole do you always have to stay with carbon for the next poles? Or is it really an adjustment?

Thanks for your help.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: Carbon poles vs. regular

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 am

I am a fan of ESSX poles; additionally, their carbons begin @ 14' and while there may very well be exceptions, I cannot see many justifications for utilizing carbons before this length in general. I would state that your son will be very well served by fiberglass poles and would benefit more from saving the extra dollars to purchase the next fiberglass pole(s) as he increases his technique and abilities; which will subsequently require him to vault on the next biggest pole.

If I can elaborate further, just ask.
V
PURSUITOF2016

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am

He is a long way from being able to realize any benefit from the carbon poles. You are going to have to buy a LOT of poles over the next few years as he grows physically and improves his technique if his school doesn't have many. Stick with fiberglass poles until he is on at least 15' poles, you'll need the extra money to keep up with his needs.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:He is a long way from being able to realize any benefit from the carbon poles. You are going to have to buy a LOT of poles over the next few years as he grows physically and improves his technique if his school doesn't have many. Stick with fiberglass poles until he is on at least 15' poles, you'll need the extra money to keep up with his needs.

:yes: :yes: ;)
PURSUITOF2016

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 am

And why would you ever need to switch to carbon fibre poles?????
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 am

altius wrote:And why would you ever need to switch to carbon fibre poles?????

Good point... we're on ESSX which are constructed of of glass and carbon in their longer poles. We are very confident with the quality and performance of their product.

Certainly, many great vaults are made on quality glass poles!!))
PURSUITOF2016

lilldpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'4"

Unread postby lilldpv » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank you so much for the advice.

The situation is that a coach has some used, by one girl, Essx Carbon 13'0 and 13'7, with weights of 123, 127 etc. for sale. The opportunity for used poles at a good price is the only reason we considering these carbon ones. BUT, we don't want to buy these just for the sake of saving money, if carbon will hurt or hinder his development. Bruce made these custom, is the only reason they are out there at less than 14'. The attraction to us, is the USED part, because basically we can get more for our money if we buy used as he progresses.

Does that change your advise? Sorry, I should have explained better.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 pm

lilldpv wrote:Thank you so much for the advice.

The situation is that a coach has some used, by one girl, Essx Carbon 13'0 and 13'7, with weights of 123, 127 etc. for sale. The opportunity for used poles at a good price is the only reason we considering these carbon ones. BUT, we don't want to buy these just for the sake of saving money, if carbon will hurt or hinder his development. Bruce made these custom, is the only reason they are out there at less than 14'. The attraction to us, is the USED part, because basically we can get more for our money if we buy used as he progresses.

Does that change your advise? Sorry, I should have explained better.

Chances are, I would already have them in my bag if I were in your position; if it is reasonable to infer that the poles will match up with his grip and weight currently or in the near future.

:yes:
PURSUITOF2016

PV-ATL
PV Whiz
Expertise: PV Coach, Club Owner (Pole Vault Atlanta, PV-ATL)
Lifetime Best: 14-6
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Unread postby PV-ATL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Lildpv,

Buy 'em! He will be able to use them soon, if not now. Then find something that he can transition from the 12-4 to the 13-0.

Used poles are the best way to go!

Cheers,

PV-ATL

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 pm

I would buy them only if they were cheaper than the equivalent fiberglass poles.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”