Free take off misconception

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
kcvault
PV Pro
Expertise: College vaulter, post collegiate vaulter, BA kinesiology,
Lifetime Best: 5.40m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Annie Burlingham

Free take off misconception

Unread postby kcvault » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I believe many pole vaulters and coaches interpret the free take off incorrectly. I have been working on a free take off for a couple of years and have been able to achieve it on quite a few of my jumps. The misconception is that to achieve a free take off you have to take off from much further out, this is not necessarily true (Also a lot of times to achieve it the vaulter moves their step back and over-strides). I have taken off at 13'6 holding 15-0 and had the pole bend before I left the ground, and I have taken off at 12'10 holding 15-5 with out the pole bending before I leave the ground. It's a matter of body position, how high your hands are and when you choice to jump off the ground. Bubka had a great take off because he understood this, he did not just take off from further out to have have his take off free.

When coaches and athletes misunderstand the concept of a free take off I believe it make's vaulting every bit as dangerous as taking off way under.

--Kasey

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Free take off misconception

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I think you are right! It should be more about increasing stride frequency and getting the feet down in time to get the hands ready to go STRAIGHT up.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Free take off misconception

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:23 pm

As height increases for a vaulter, the mechanics of a free takeoff change proportionately. It is certainly more difficult to achieve a free takeoff holding at 15'5" than it is from 11'. However, developing a free takeoff can be one of the most important mechanics of vaulting at any level. And, it doesn't mean taking off "out" is the objective. The objective is to coordinate the movements of the arms with the jump or take off. Think about the simple drill of ground run overs. If an individual places the tip of the pole on the ground before he or she takes off, the results will be falling to one side; if the person can even get up on the pole. So, nothing should change from the run over drill too vaulting into the box; of course the height at which the person holds the pole. From experience I present the proceeding opinion. A 5'1" ninth grade girl I coached could not long jump 12' or high jump 4, however, she could pole vault 8'-6"which qualified her for the district meet with an excellent free take off. As I have all my vaulters do, they work run over drills just about everyday. As a matter of fact, their goal is to maximize their grip each day doing this drill. The 13' and 14' vaulters, since they have done 100s of run over drills, seem to have real good free takes. And believe me, there is no effort to have them "out" as they feel the difference.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”