flat takeoff

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

flat takeoff

Unread postby straightup » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24 pm

i have recently been struggling on larger poles. ive found out that i have a really low flat jump before takeoff so any ideas for drill to fix this?
get over or get out

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Re: flat takeoff

Unread postby das_1971 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Flat takeoff is turning into a popular term... It could be a few things, but with out a video, pole size, your height, really without more info its hard to tell. Here's something that might help more then blind advice.
Everyone has some sort of drill they do when warming up. We used to call them one-arms. Rather its that, grass vaults, straight pole, two steps, whatever, as long as its something that requires you to NOT bend the pole, jump, and not have any kind of bar or bungee, or any reasone to go upside down. These drills are execelent ways to focus on and correct takeoff issues without too much work or worry.
Essentially, what your looking for is a smooth jump without getting jerked, moving at a constant speed through the air, and having your top arm long the whole time. If your not jumping, you'll get jerked. If your not tall, or not planting high, you'll get jerked. If you pull with your arm, you'll stall and land on the runway. If you don't keep the pole moving, you'll slow down. If you can only do these holding really low, your definatly not getting the most efficient takeoff that your could be, which is really what you want if you want to get on longer poles more easily. Try looking here first, and trying things to make that warm up drill jump thing smoother. I promise it will do wonders for your jump. Good Luck
Ow

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: flat takeoff

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 am

straightup wrote:i have recently been struggling on larger poles. ive found out that i have a really low flat jump before takeoff so any ideas for drill to fix this?

Shorten your run 3 lefts or 4 lefts and work on an early plant with a stiff pole. Concentrate on hanging from the top arm and of course a correct take-off position. Even running from 2 lefts can and will help the no jump take-off issue. Remember plant early and high and jump up (up impulse) is a better way to say it. Good luck!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”