Pole drop

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Pawelvaulter
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.52
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Pawel Wojciechowski

Pole drop

Unread postby Pawelvaulter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 pm

On my full approach i run 7 lefts. How many steps in would i have to start lowering the pole because whenever i rewatch my video it seems like i lower the pole and just carry it in the down position untill i plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YG74ZvKa1c

WiscoVaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11m
Favorite Vaulter: Jan Johnson

Re: Pole drop

Unread postby WiscoVaulter » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:33 am

The most important things regarding pole drop are as follows:

The dropping of the pole does minimally affects running form

And that your pole is parallel or lower to the ground before you begin your plant

Both of these seem to be met in your run so I would say that you should stick with what your doing. Essentially the pole should slowly be dropping throughout the entire rune until the shift step.
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records.

— William A Ward

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:05 am

The pole should begin a free drop(controlled) at 6 steps out, any later and you could be(probably would be late) anu earlier and you will be holding the pole up for a bit before the plant. The pole drop will affect your plant position and take-off efficiency.

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 pm

I watched your video. You look comfortable while running and efficient while planting, so really I wouldn't worry about the drop and the level unless you feel that your getting pulled forward or pushed back during your run/plant. The question I had was what was the lenght of the pole?
One tip: Something I always did a lot of was plant drills and pole runs (when my legs worked...), but instead of using the poles I would jump on, I'd find the bigest, heaviest, most rediculas thing I could. For instance at camps I could usually find an old black cat or fibersport or old carbons in the 16+/180+ range, hold these out as far as I could, and do plant drills all day. That will really expose the part of your run and plant thats inefficient, and when you switch back down, the smaller poles will seem like nothing and you'll be that much improved. When I coached, I found kids had a real hard time with planting and running with 12,13,14' poles, mostly because their too light(small poles float while you run, big ones almost plant themselves), so I made them drill with 15's and 16's and it really helped their comfort level and technique.
Ow

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Fishman4 - I think I know the answer but want to clarify - six steps and 3 lefts are equivalent, correct?
PURSUITOF2016

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes three lefts and six steps/strides are equvalent

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”