When to pull down?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
KCpolevault
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: scott huffman

When to pull down?

Unread postby KCpolevault » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Are you supposed to pull down once you've completed your swing and brought the pole to your ankles? Or do you start to pull down after you drop your shoulders and get vertical? Also, do you pull down with your top hand, bottom hand or both?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Re: When to pull down?

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 pm

I guess it depends on what model your using but with PEtrov model I say it happens once you hit the "bubka position"... Probably a little before then. Try it on a high bar and try to pull to your chest, you instictively know when to start pulling... And the pull should be primarily through the bottom, I am sure the top arm has a role and does pull... But I think it's extremely to initiate and lead with the bottom hand.... But before you get to all of this you need to narrow your grip a little and re-align or make space....
On a whole new level 6-20-09

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I guess it depends on what model your using but with PEtrov model I say it happens once you hit the "bubka position"... Probably a little before then. Try it on a high bar and try to pull to your chest, you instictively know when to start pulling... And the pull should be primarily through the bottom, I am sure the top arm has a role and does pull... But I think it's extremely to initiate and lead with the bottom hand.... But before you get to all of this you need to narrow your grip a little and re-align or make space....
On a whole new level 6-20-09

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:25 am

Pull with the bottom as soon as you get off the ground (no passive phases) if you delay and do not keep pressure on the pole you lose energy. Think of what you do when you stiff pole.............then do that with a pole that bends, remember to keep pressure on the pole throughout the entire vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”