Dropping Shoulders/Raising Hips

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Schnalan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Dropping Shoulders/Raising Hips

Unread postby Schnalan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I can get the leg whip and kick up, but I do not let my shoulders drop down to raise my hips to get fully vertical. I have tried throwing my head back to look at the runway but it feels very weird and I bail out. Any help on getting past this so I can get fully inverted?
"Step on the barrel, kick the bird"

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Dropping Shoulders/Raising Hips

Unread postby vquestpvc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:42 am

Well, let's begin by noting there is no "kick up. As you "whip" your leg, you are going to break at the hips which speeds up your rotation; think of it as swinging through to touch your toes over your head. This position is know as "covering" the pole. From this position you will pull up the pole with the top hand going to the same side hip while simultaneously thrusting your hips into the pole and beginning a quarter turn. And, by thrusting your hips into the pole, your shoulders will drop. Think of it as being in a swing. As you swing back, you are in a "L" seat, but as you swing forward attempting to go as high as you can you will pull the swing chains and straighten your body; similar in the vault. DO NOT look back or down backwards though! This will cause you to loss your sense of equilibrium; fortunately, as you put it, your mind and body have the sense to "bailout". However, if you continue to push the attempt to look back, it may very well be very dangerous and fatal.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”