Mental Block

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Tmax
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Mental Block

Unread postby Tmax » Sat May 12, 2012 11:00 am

Hey I was wondering if anyone in the community has any tips for me. At the beginning of the 2011-2012 winter season I began vaulting again (after NH every meet in freshman year) Then eventually I got better and better and got over 10'6". Currently I am in the spring season of my junior year and I have a PR of 11'6" which I have gotten about 3 times easily. However, while training a week or two ago I started having this mental feeling that I wasn't going to jump. After trying and trying I just could not get myself in the air, so I stopped and hadn't jumped since yesterday May 11th where at a meet I no heighted at 10'. Something I can do VERY easily. My first no height since freshman year. So now this leads me to the question, how the hell do I get myself out of this mental funk. I know I'm probably over thinking it, however when I go to plant I feel like the pole is the wrong way or I'm doing something wrong. What do you guys think the best way to fix my mental problems is? I have to Jump again tuesday for a divisional meet, I think by then I should be able to clear my mind, but still, I am unsure.
Any help would be greatly Appreciated
Thanks,
Tmax

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Mental Block

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sat May 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Keep it simple bud. If need be, shorten things up. Practice with a shorter approach and slowly work your step back (and grip higher). One of my vaulters had a major block last season and wouldn't jump at all. I started by having him jog his 12 step from a low grip and takeoff. As he got more comfortable, his step moved back and his grip went up. His confidence got back to where it had previously been, and he PR'd the following meet.

K.I.S.S principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid :) Good luck!

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:30 pm

hey i just no heighted for the first time since my freshman year too. It was a height so simple for me. It happens, just relax, forget about it, practice and look at it as a learning experience.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 am

good morning,

"mental" issues generally come back to a "flaw" in some technical aspect of your vault. Most notably in your run and plant… since "plant" action is largely determined by the run… we need to get the run in order first.

In order, to me, means the grip is determined by the run or "energy" that can be created AND transferred at the plant . That grip height that you can "safely" move to vertical will determine how high you can jump.

Your "expectation" should always match the grip you can safely hold… actually we need to NOT let our coaches, friends or even ourselves set an "expectation" (he she should be jumping 14 feet!) that is not close in line with the "physics" on the runway.

Those "expectations" creates the mental anguish…………

I truly believe in setting Goals…. Not expectations……

dj
http://www.oneapproachrun.com

twistpv
PV Beginner
Expertise: college vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby twistpv » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 am

I've gotten vaulters block bad in the past where I couldn't even get of the ground for almost 3 weeks it was ridiculous. In the end I just got fed up with messing with my run and grip and running through the pit. So one practice I went and got a box and just did slide box drills over and over and over and then at the end of practice I moved it back to the runway and voilà I was off the ground again. Now its my go to drill for that issue.

So slide box drills that's my advice.
(coach)Why did you run through?(me)Ummm.........cross wind?(coach)"Oh okay"

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”