mid mark chart...grip height

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Re: mid mark chart...grip height

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:56 am

grandevaulter wrote:So what is the science behind the 43' unchanging mid. It seems that if one's grip rises that one's approach would retreat by an equal length and so would the "mid". It seems that if it always works out then you are steering.

I would agree entirely with your conclusion: a coach and an athlete have to be open and receptive to the fact that mid marks can and will change just like the takeoff mark will change. In fact, there is a correlation between the grip, the mid AND the takeoff mark in addition to the velocity; each are interdependent on one another. Consistant changes over time specifically, consistent increases in the mid mark over time should be planned for and a desired outcome within programming and athlete development: the rationale is indicated below.

foreverforum8 wrote:
dj wrote:I would use the chart every day to practice the appraoch on the track and every
vault session as a "tool" to correlate with the run, plant and swing...
when you have your best run and vault check the grip, mid.. see if it matches up...also check and see where you hit at the "MID" when your coach said you were stretching...
dj

i would do that except i train with Paul Babbits every once in a while and he has a different take on the mid mark....he thinks the mid never changes so thats how i have been doing it...my mid is always 43 and no matter where my grip is it always seems to work out

The science and the practical sports application of an unchanging mid is the ever prevailing practice of PoppyCockOlogy...

In the explanation below, DJ explains the variations very well with respect to technique and speed. Often there are intermediate vaulters that can run faster than their bar height would indicate due to the technical development (lack of) in the vault.
Also, as the intermediate vaulter develops their ability to vault, they are often further limited by their ability to maintain effective velocity into the pole plant and take off due to improper run mechanics i.e. over striding; especially with the ability to vault with longer and heavier poles which will magnify the stride flaws; especially when the pole carry/plant technique/timing is not efficient.

dj wrote:…the differences we currently see in the vaulters, mainly "mids" to far out, means they are over striding… it also can mean their technique has not caught up with their speed...

Ideally, an athletes functional stride length with proper mechanics will continue to increase with development: the more power that is applied to the ground will produce more speed i.e. distance covered over time, which is the holy grail so to speak. Every tenth (0.1) mps has the potential to yield another 3" in bar height; so basically, if an athlete or a coach is not knowledgeable or willing to monitor and track mid mark info and develop functional speed, they are missing an essential ingredient in the mix.

dj wrote:
BUTT by continuing with teaching, training and coaching that (stride lengths to long for the "speed" needed to move that grip)way you are developing the wrong feel, poor run -pole carry technique and even poor plant technique because of the over striding.
dj

Even if an athlete has arrived at or near their ceiling of functional speed carried into the vault: the technique and mechanics of the vaulter can allow for increases, needed increase in grip height based on the ability to generate more power and velocity in the swing to inversion. In this event, the grip height will continue to raise over time and the adjustments to the run and the mid SHOULD follow based on the direct correlation between grip height changes and take off mark, which occur at a 1:1.33 ratio.

Not being burdened with the requirement of unlearning years of bad habits and inaccurate information in order to progress really is a beautiful phenomenon... Lacking knowledge is a state everyone encounters, choosing to remain there and take up residence is just plain ignorance in an overpopulated region...
PURSUITOF2016

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 am

foreverforum8 wrote:i would do that except i train with Paul Babbits every once in a while and he has a different take on the mid mark....he thinks the mid never changes so thats how i have been doing it...my mid is always 43 and no matter where my grip is it always seems to work out

Another poster asked about the science behind this. My guess is that for some masters athletes who tend to run from the same number of steps most jumps, and run about the same speed every time, they end up being most comfortable with the mid in about the same spot every time. My guess is that the grip is not changing dramatically from jump to jump, or that they start out undergripping but quickly move it up. I could see how that could work for some people.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 pm

hey

the "MID" and grip should be progressive and proportionate.. as your skill and speed levels rise so goes the "MID" and grip.

Many years ago I "proved" this without question with one of our (USA) top vaulters.

His first full jump session with me was 18 strides. He chose a 15-4ish grip on a pole he knew he could start with. He chose a 54 "MID".. I put a shoe at 52… he said his mark was 54… and moved my mark…

After 6 times down the runway he finally went up for the first time.... his mark? 52-4… as he jumped that day and raised his grip his "MID" moved out accordingly…

Still not having a grasp on what I was doing he brought his camera to the next session..

Again he set a 54 mark… again he took 5 or 6 runs before he went up… again he was at 52-7ish.. then he wanted to know why, stating "my legs are still the same length? Why is 54 not correct???

My answer.. stride length, if you are running correctly, is determined by speed (force of push-off) and not by leg length. The faster you run the longer your stride should be.

The faster you can run the higher you can grip (all things (technique) being equal). Grip to speed to stride length is a "proportionate" equation. That equation is show in my "MID" chart.

From that practice forward he started with a "MID" that was proportionate to his grip and would "go up" the first or second time down the runway.

What was exciting was when we started going to meets all the other jumpers looked confused and dumb-founded with Mike "going up" the first time down the runway! When they were still running through several times.. some of them started asking me "why" he could do this..

This is a "secret" that matches the physics of speed… a coaches tool that can be used in training.

I had a women jumper a few years ago go from a 12-7 PR to a 14 foot PR by doing these "numbers", Approach Runs on the track..

12 steps with a 40/41 foot "MID"..
14 steps with a 42/43 foot "MID"..
16 steps with a 44/45 foot "MID"..

And yes, if the run is correct and faster, the "MID" should be out more and the grip higher, proportionately.

The "MID" is NOT a static number if you are getting better and faster……

dj

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka

Unread postby coachjvinson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:04 pm

dj wrote:And yes, if the run is correct and faster, the "MID" should be out more and the grip higher, proportionately.

The "MID" is NOT a static number if you are getting better and faster……

dj

Coach,
Thank you for clarifying and elaborating.
This is great "news" and "information" for everyone.
Even for someone like myself... my run potential at 40 will predictably be very consistant speed wise; probably not getting much faster. What I can do though is develop my swing and technical model and subsequently develop my ability to optimize and increase my grip height and take off mark, even if by just a few inches. In doing so, my mid mark can and should change based on grip height changes even though my speed has not developed.

This same concept applies to developing vaulters that we coach as well: at any one point in a season, the run potential and velocity may very well be static and consistant at that point in time. What can always be developed and refined is the technical model and the energy created by the swing.

Taking the concept one step further, let's consider a "cold and rainy day" situation or what is otherwise just an "off day" during competition or practice: for example, after and during the warmup, the vaulter is "out" on the mid repeatedly maybe the legs are tired, whatever...
What do you do as a coach or a knowledgable athlete? Move your back number "in" accordingly and quite possibly the "mid" number changes as well moving closer based on the conclusion that the vaulter is not generating the optimal amount of force to the ground and the speed is less for that point in time.
Now, let's consider that this was successful, adrenaline is kicking in and the vaulter is in the top 5 and now, all of the sudden the runner is exceeding the adjusted marks. Now the adjustment will move back towards the original marks that have been established. When an athlete's scholarship and career rest on their performances the above scenarios seem less and less like an advanced application and more like a Coach's due diligence and responsibility.

Coach, I respect your knowledge and guidance immensely; please feel free to elaborate, clarify or criticize any of the aforementioned. After all, it is basically my interpretations and applications of knowledge that I learned from you...
Thanks Coach!!
V
PURSUITOF2016

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
foreverforum8 wrote:i would do that except i train with Paul Babbits every once in a while and he has a different take on the mid mark....he thinks the mid never changes so thats how i have been doing it...my mid is always 43 and no matter where my grip is it always seems to work out

Another poster asked about the science behind this. My guess is that for some masters athletes who tend to run from the same number of steps most jumps, and run about the same speed every time, they end up being most comfortable with the mid in about the same spot every time. My guess is that the grip is not changing dramatically from jump to jump, or that they start out undergripping but quickly move it up. I could see how that could work for some people.

I respect your opinion Rainbow and you may be correct, that is if foreverforum8 is a masters athlete.( Paul's success as a masters vaulter and world record holder is great) My guess is that it is a stationary point that is used for acceleration and a cue for pole drop. Not a coaches mark with any science attached for grip height or stride length.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 am

good morning,

Paul is very aware of how i use the "MID" and came to train with Tully for an extended period of time....

he is a successful masters jumper and coach so the "way" he uses the coaching tools works for him...

dj

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Those facts are acknowledged. FF8 may or may not know why he is being helped " sometimes" at Paul's with a fixed mid. So is it the fixed acceleration point spoke of in Roman B's continuous chain? ( that Roman claims is a disruption ) Could it be an isolated case of a 43' fixed mid?

dracjr
PV Beginner
Expertise: former college vaulter,high school coach,parent
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby dracjr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 am

dj's mid chart was dead on for my two of my three valuters but my son 5'5 in height 41'6 mid 13'4 grip 8 lefts 15'1 dose not come close am i missing something

coachjvinson
PV Whiz

Unread postby coachjvinson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:06 am

whats his run distance at 8L?
PURSUITOF2016

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am

good morning,

without seeing the vault... i would say he is very highly efficient technically… Run-Plant-Swing.

A foot above "average" for his grip is huge. Would be interesting to see the run. ? out-under.. "choppy", or great posture-great stride frequency…

I have stated before more can be done "correctly" with a "close" run and nothing good can be done with a stretched run..

dj

dracjr
PV Beginner
Expertise: former college vaulter,high school coach,parent
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby dracjr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:42 pm

82'3 8 lefts 72' 7 lefts take off 10'9 weights 140 on 175lb pole stride is a little choppy 11.2 100m 4.5 40yds.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:04 pm

dj's mid chart was dead on for my two of my three vaulters but my son 5'5 in height 41'6 mid 13'4 grip 8 lefts 15'1 dose not come close am i missing something

82'3 8 lefts 72' 7 lefts take off 10'9 weights 140 on 175lb pole stride is a little choppy 11.2 100m 4.5 40yds.

These numbers just do not "add" up…. An 82 8L run and a 41/42 "MID" are indicators of an athlete that runs 5.0 in the 40yd.. and to use a 175'lb pole at 140 lbs.. you are correct dracjr the "numbers" don't make sense..

An athlete that runs a 4.5 40yd is capable, with technique of course, to have a 17 foot vault with a 50/51 "MID"….

With that speed I think the only question would be…. how can the speed be transferred to the runway so the grip can go up?

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”