Moving up to bigger poles

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
TJRwolves!
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter/ future D2 college Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Moving up to bigger poles

Unread postby TJRwolves! » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:32 am

I am wondering if anyone has any good tips or advice for moving to a bigger or longer pole. I currently use a 14', 165lb pole. The pole is too small and doesn't spring me up much and I am ready to get on a longer pole. My high school doesn't have a lot of money to buy new poles on the spot so the next step up is a 15' 165lb pole. I would like to try a 14'6 pole but all my school has after the 14' pole is the 15' one. Moving up a whole foot seems like a big step, but it's my only choice at the moment. Every time I have gone I have drove into it getting plenty bend on the pole, but I can't make it past the pit. I go up and fall backwards missing the mats completely. I've been close a couple times but can't seen to get into the pit far enough. My coach tells me to keep riding it out but every time I rock back and start to invert I am right above the pit and going straight up, not towards the bar or mats. Should I keep trying the 15' pole or would trying to get a hold of a 14'6 pole be a better choice. Maybe borrowing a pole from another school. And does anyone have any advice for getting further into the pit when trying out a longer pole.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Moving up to bigger poles

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:10 pm

The 15' pole is going to feel about 20 pounds stiffer than the 14' pole. You really would be better off if you can borrow a stiffer 14' or 14'6 pole.

Two other things... you said the 14' pole feels soft, but are you landing deep in the pit, and knocking the bar off with the standards at 31.5" when you use it?

Also, it sounds like you're gripping near the top of the 15' pole. Drop your grip to 14' on that pole and you should land deeper in the pit. Also, DON'T SWING until you are able to get the pole moving into the pit. You could get seriously hurt or die if you swing upside down when you're getting in the pit.

TJRwolves!
PV Newbie

Unread postby TJRwolves! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 am

What I mean by the 14' pole feeling soft is, it pulls me up very slowly. I'm not necessarily very far back into the pit with standards at 32 but the pole doesn't have a whole lot of spring left. I tried moving down the 15' pole back to where I was on the 14' but that's pretty stiff. I first tried going about 6-8 inches higher than my 14' grip, but now i'm down to about 4 inches above my old grip. Ive gotten pretty close when only 4 inches higher but we were vaulting indoors do to weather. Today ill be able to finally vault outdoors which should help me run faster with my spikes hopefully.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:00 pm

TJRwolves! wrote:What I mean by the 14' pole feeling soft is, it pulls me up very slowly. I'm not necessarily very far back into the pit with standards at 32 but the pole doesn't have a whole lot of spring left. I tried moving down the 15' pole back to where I was on the 14' but that's pretty stiff. I first tried going about 6-8 inches higher than my 14' grip, but now i'm down to about 4 inches above my old grip. Ive gotten pretty close when only 4 inches higher but we were vaulting indoors do to weather. Today ill be able to finally vault outdoors which should help me run faster with my spikes hopefully.

You're not really blowing through the pole unless you are also landing deep in the pit. Lower your grip on the 14' pole until you are vaulting with the bar at 32". The pole will give you more spring and you'll be landing in a safer place in the pit. What you are describing is a classic example of overgripping.

TJRwolves!
PV Newbie

Unread postby TJRwolves! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't have 32 standards on the 14' because I get upside down very well. If i were to not get upside down as much just the slightest bit then I would be at 32 standards. I realize to absolutely blow through a pole I would have to be absolutely inverted and very far into the pit. But with the 14' not giving me much spring I would like to get on a bigger pole, one, to give me more spring, and two, so i can go higher. I don't want to move down on the 14' for more spring if I could just get on a 14'6 or a 15' pole.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm

TJRwolves! wrote:I don't have 32 standards on the 14' because I get upside down very well. If i were to not get upside down as much just the slightest bit then I would be at 32 standards. I realize to absolutely blow through a pole I would have to be absolutely inverted and very far into the pit. But with the 14' not giving me much spring I would like to get on a bigger pole, one, to give me more spring, and two, so i can go higher. I don't want to move down on the 14' for more spring if I could just get on a 14'6 or a 15' pole.

The idea that in order to be truly upside down you have to have your standards closer is bunk. You're clearly not ready to get on the 15' pole you have yet. You're overgripping on both poles. I am trying to tell you how to get the poles you have to work for you, but if you want to keep doing the same things wrong, go for it.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
TJRwolves! wrote:I don't have 32 standards on the 14' because I get upside down very well. If i were to not get upside down as much just the slightest bit then I would be at 32 standards. I realize to absolutely blow through a pole I would have to be absolutely inverted and very far into the pit. But with the 14' not giving me much spring I would like to get on a bigger pole, one, to give me more spring, and two, so i can go higher. I don't want to move down on the 14' for more spring if I could just get on a 14'6 or a 15' pole.

The idea that in order to be truly upside down you have to have your standards closer is bunk. You're clearly not ready to get on the 15' pole you have yet. You're overgripping on both poles. I am trying to tell you how to get the poles you have to work for you, but if you want to keep doing the same things wrong, go for it.

Agreed! Don't ask for coaching if you're not willing to listen...overgripping is a bad thing if you want to ever learn how to vault over your hand grip, and that's what Becca is trying to tell you. Most times people who think they are blowing through just aren't taking off properly and are flopping onto the pole at a low angle with too high of a grip. This results in lots of bend, no penetration, no spring off the top, and your butt stuck in the bucket. Penetration is the result of pole speed and is not reduced by inversion...in fact, covering the pole and inverting aggressively will usually roll the pole over deeper than letting the hips fall away from the pole as it recoils (assuming that you are on the right pole). Remember that it is YOU who should be doing the work, not the pole!!

Get on youtube and check out where Brad Walker or Andrew Irwin's standards are set, and ask yourself if they are getting a full inversion. And then post some video of your own jumps so that coaches on this forum can give you accurate feedback. If your coach is telling you to "ride it out" when you are getting rejected, you may want to trust your own instincts and lower your grip instead. Almost every HS male vaulter experiences a roadblock when moving from 14' to 15' poles. Work on building your maximum controlled speed on the runway and the efficiency of your plant and takeoff. Drive in and hold the takeoff position, maintaining pressure on the top arm, when you are attempting to jump on the 15' pole. Don't invert until you can stay behind the pole, and stand the thing up, every time.

Good luck,
Tom

CAhighvaultage
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter, Aspiring College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Bjorn Otto

Unread postby CAhighvaultage » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I've had this same problem before but it was on a 14 foot pole; I was going straight up and not penetrating deep enough. The key for me was moving down a pole size and then I was getting deep into the pit. If you are stalling on a 14' 165 than I don't think that it would be very beneficial to go up a pole size. I think you should use a 13'6" 185 or 195 and then once you get used to that get back up on a 14' 175 perhaps? Just my two cents from what I have learned.
Lefty vaulters...yes...we are special.

Manche führen...manche folgen...ich führen.

coachjvinson
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have never recognized the concept of limits-I think an athlete who accepts limits is dead-Bubka
Lifetime Best: 0
Favorite Vaulter: COOP 4.55m and Mondo

Unread postby coachjvinson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 am

This is really great advice that you are getting - work on the energy into the system - building the speed of the run with consistency - once you are crushing the pole you are on with a tall plant and good take off and landing safely in the pit - then you are ready to get on the next pole with a slighly higher grip then the previous - ( if its a big jump in flex from the previous pole, I am certain there are members who can help you SAFELY make the transition ) also, be open to having multiple PRs from 2,3,4 lefts etc - if you are trying to work on the biggest pole from the longest run every practice - then that is probably not the most ideal training plan - this seems relevant based on you remark and your reluctance about the idea of moving down a grip or down a pole - everyone has a ceiling or a sticking point: the key is how do you break through it intelligently - while you are working on the skill and speed to get on progressively larger poles and subsequently greater heights - stay open to the fundamentals - I still remember with amazement the first time I watched a 19 ft vaulter clearing 13ft bars from 2 steps FREAKING AMAZING!!! If it's good enough for the elite vaulters then... Well you get the idea...
PURSUITOF2016

Cbwolf2014
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'0"

Unread postby Cbwolf2014 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm having the same issue. I currently use a 13' 170 UCS Spirit and have cleared 12' with it. I know that I should be able to get another foot and a half with this pole, but I am running out of time as I am a senior in high school. My coach and several other coaches want me to try out a 14' 175. Whenever I use this pole I stall out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”