Pole Progression Help

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Fruitkid101
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Myself

Pole Progression Help

Unread postby Fruitkid101 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:01 am

Hey guys,

I this is my first post, and I have a phenomenal coach at my school, I'm really fortunate to have him; however, I just want some thoughts on this because he's out of the country right now and I just want some questions answered.

Here's the scoop. I'm in the tenth grade, 125-ish lbs, about 5'7." My PR is 11'6" that I set a couple days ago. That meet, I was capping a 13' 155 by my last couple jumps. And by capping, I mean right at the manufacturer's label. I was pretty much crushing all the smaller poles (130 lbs, 135 lbs, 140 lbs, 145 lbs, 150 lbs...). I'm running an 8 step from somewhere like 93' or something like that.

The Dilema: I obviously still need work on my technique and stuff because I would really like to be jumping over my grip which I've done in practice, but only once or twice. I also need to be coming off the top of the pole. But, for when I start gripping higher, I'll be needing 14' poles. The smallest 14er in our shed is a 14' 140lbs, so should I work my way up to the 13' 160 before transitioning? Pretty much like, what is a good point for me to be at on the 13' poles for me to know that I'll be able to get off the ground on the 14' 140 lbs without being able to transistion with softer poles?

Thanks,
Beast Pole Vautler in the Making

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Pole Progression Help

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:39 am

Congrats on your success. Without getting technical and equating flex numbers, the good news is that you have the poles you need in the 1360 and the 1440. The 1440 would be the next pole after a 1355, just like a 1360 would be. I would try them both out and see which one feels like the best transition. If the 1440 is your jumping off point to 14' poles then great. My guess is that because of your grip, that's the best move. However, if the 1360 feels the best you could use it, but obviously you cannot raise your grip.

A good and safe rule of thumb is to start with the same grip on the 1440 for the first jump or two. Then move it up and inch a jump. Also when moving to a bigger or longer pole I try to relax on my run and maybe even back off 5% in effort and try and hit my take off positions 10% better. Best of luck to you and congrts again. Bubba

PS - if you want to send me your flex numbers I'll calculate to see how each pole may feel compared to each other so you don't get surprised. polevaulter@msn.com
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Fruitkid101
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11
Favorite Vaulter: Myself

Unread postby Fruitkid101 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Hey thanks for getting back to me!

I think I'll start trying to get onto the 14' 140 lbs. So, for meets and long run days and stuff like that, I should start and warm up on my softer 13' poles and then move up to the 14s? Or, should I start on the 14 140 and just take it from there?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:56 pm

Fruitkid101 wrote:Hey thanks for getting back to me!

I think I'll start trying to get onto the 14' 140 lbs. So, for meets and long run days and stuff like that, I should start and warm up on my softer 13' poles and then move up to the 14s? Or, should I start on the 14 140 and just take it from there?

Start on the smaller poles and move up when you are blowing through. Some days you might not have it, and it's important to always be on a pole that is getting you to the middle of the pit, not trying to force it on a pole that is too big for the conditions on that day.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 am

I 100% agree with Becca. Work your way through your poles each day and see where you are without forcing the run. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”