Hips Coming Under with Stiff Poles

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
dlevear
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.30m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Hips Coming Under with Stiff Poles

Unread postby dlevear » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi everybody. I find that with my stiff pole drills (3 lefts) without a swing on the sand or on the pit my hips come under and I have trouble staying behind the pole. Does anybody know what may be causing this or have suggestions for ways to fix it? Generally my swing-ups are fine and not hindered by this, which I don't really understand.

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Re: Hips Coming Under with Stiff Poles

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Don't sweat it! In a "six step drill", it is such because you are holding down on the pole relative to the speed of the approach from 6 steps (or 3 lefts for you). If you are not having difficulty inverting or swing ups in a six step drill, then you are fine. As you increase your approach length and grip height, you will see that the pole will react accordingly; of course depending were your hands are at takeoff.......high I hope. Think of it like jumping to a horizontal bar attempting to swing forward. You will have to jump up and "out" a little driving the hands to the bar with the leg back. As you grip the bar, the trail leg whips forward. Essentially, in the pole vault you are creating a high bar and swinging your hips over it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”