Strictly Indoor Drills

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
lakesidepv
PV Wannabe

Strictly Indoor Drills

Unread postby lakesidepv » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:32 pm

What type of Indoor Drills can we do during the off-season w/o mats?

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:48 pm

Uhhhhhh.....pole runs, sandpit vaulting, sliding box, and then some more pole runs. In fact this type of stuff is probably better for you than vaulting, so go get em tiger.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

vaultfan

U.S. Pole Vault Academy Training Schedule

Unread postby vaultfan » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:42 pm

You will get quite a few ideas from the training schedule discussed on the U.S. Pole Vault Academy website:

http://www.speed-fitness.com/uspva/training.htm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:38 pm

There are lots you can do in the gym. Rick Baggett has some cool ones that you have to be wearing sweats to do. I am not sure if I can explain it very well so you might wanna ask him... but you take a pole and put it against the wall. You turn so your back is against the wall (you are standing) and you push down on the pole so it bends. Then you like slide your feet forward until you are sliding on your back on the floor, and the pole unbends and pushes you out. You do the top end of the vault while you are sliding.

Not sure if that made sense, it is hard to explain.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:15 am

sounds very intersting, lol
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

vaultfan

Strictly Indoor Drills

Unread postby vaultfan » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:12 am

Sounds kind of like the drill described by an unregistered user over at the Pole Vault Pit ( http://www.polevaultpit.com/article.php ... =0&thold=0 ) as a comment to the article “What are some good workouts so that I cant :( get higher.â€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:23 am

Yeah it's like that except you can start out standing and slide your feet out in front of you until you basically fall on your butt (and keep sliding forward.) It gives you more momentum and lets you bend the pole.

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:41 pm

I think there is a video of this drill on justvault.com
run high and hold fast

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:53 am

I have a rope that I attached to a beam in my basement. I put a gymnastics mat underneath it. I can lie on the mat, grab the rope, swing upside-down, pull up, and do all sorst of things in a very small space. I can even do Bubkas. I'm a big believer in the power of the rope. You use all of the right pv muscles.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:49 pm

we've done the "wall slide" drills as we call them many times. Starting seated as you would be while inverted, with the pole firmly planted against the wall behind you(back to the wall). Make a violent rowing type motion on the pole causing it to bend while you force your back towards the ground. You should be lying back flat on the floor, while the pole is bent. Then pull, turn and push off. This will all happen very quickly so timing is a big thing or you'll end up going sideways or spinning instead of straight out, but you can really feel it when you get it right. We did these on towels to help us slide better. The drill simulates the top end of the vault very well and really develops the muscles and timing needed to go from an inverted position to basically a handstand on top of the pole. Plus they can be fun too!! As for doing something of this sort standing up....I'm not sure about that, wouldn't that hurt a bit??
"Heart"

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”