Vaulting over your handgrip and collegiant vaulting

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

Vaulting over your handgrip and collegiant vaulting

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Ever since i started pole vaulting i longed to jump over my hand height. Well fellow pole vault community im here to inform you that yesterday i finally jumped over my hand height lol. I vaulted 12'6" with a 13 foot pole gripping at about 12'9" but i included the 6 inches to the bottom off the box so including that i jumped over my hand height lol.

I also have a question though. Roughly, how high do you think someone needs to vault there senior year in HS to be looked at by a college to vault in college? Im a sophmore in HS jumping 12'6 and im hoping to be a collegiant vaulter so any incite would be helpful thanks alot!

PRinthePV
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker/Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Vaulting over your handgrip and collegiant vaulting

Unread postby PRinthePV » Sun May 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I know that if you want to be seriously considered for D1 colleges they look for 14'0" as a junior. Smaller colleges will be a lot easier to walk on to obviously though, so if you want to vault in college don't get discouraged if your height isn't where you want it to be cause you have a lot of options.

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:35 pm

iv hit 12'6 so far its my junior year this year so i hope to hit 14

pursuit16
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby pursuit16 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:52 pm

colleges will consider you as a recruit with anything from 13' to 14', but youll have to contact them first if you want to go to a decent school

Schnalan
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Schnalan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm

How would I go about contacting the colleges? Just email them saying "Hey, I'm _______ from _______ and I vault ______. It would be great if you'd consider recruiting me."
"Step on the barrel, kick the bird"

pursuit16
PV Wannabe
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby pursuit16 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Schnalan wrote:How would I go about contacting the colleges? Just email them saying "Hey, I'm _______ from _______ and I vault ______. It would be great if you'd consider recruiting me."

this is the generic email i sent out to various college coaches:

Dear Coach ( ),

My name is ( ). I am a high school junior, class of 2012.

I have recently started my search for a college to further my education. ( )Univeristy is high on my list of choices.

I have been a member of the ( ) High School Track & Field program as a pole vaulter since my freshman year. I wish to continue pole vaulting in college. I am interested in vaulting for a program like yours.
I have been jumping since freshman year. I began year-round training in June 2010 and have increased my personal best by 3 feet since then.

I am strong academically, taking honors and AP courses, with a current GPA of ( ) (weighted ( )). I have taken the SATs once so far, scoring ( ) (Math: , Reading: , Writing: ) and the ACT Comp ( )(Math: , English: , Reading: , Science: ). I plan on taking the SATs again in June.

I have set countless personal goals which I have worked hard to achieve and will continue to work toward future goals. I plan to continue to work hard throughout the summer to continue to improve physically and technically in my vault.

Here is a link to my you tube page which contains videos of my progress throughout the year which I update regularly: http://www.youtube.com/user/ and my MileSplit record: http://.milesplit.com/athletes/

If you think I may be a potential candidate for ( )'s track & field team, please contact me at ( )

Head Track Coach: ( ), his email
Pole Vaulting Coach: ( ), email
Club Coach: ( ), email

Sincerely,
Name
Address
phone #

of course this is based on my credentials but it just about covers all they need to know

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 pm

foreverforum8 wrote:Ever since i started pole vaulting i longed to jump over my hand height. Well fellow pole vault community im here to inform you that yesterday i finally jumped over my hand height lol. I vaulted 12'6" with a 13 foot pole gripping at about 12'9" but i included the 6 inches to the bottom off the box so including that i jumped over my hand height lol.

I also have a question though. Roughly, how high do you think someone needs to vault there senior year in HS to be looked at by a college to vault in college? Im a sophmore in HS jumping 12'6 and im hoping to be a collegiant vaulter so any incite would be helpful thanks alot!

I believe the box is 8 inches deep
Man Up and Jump

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm

hey

interesting numbers... if you check the Six Step Chart.. you are right about where you should be to jump above your grip..

12-7 grip = 12-6 vault.....

www.oneapproachrun.com

keep up the work... somebody will want and need you to vault...

dj

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Many Colleges also have online recruiting questionairre's. Search the websites.
Man Up and Jump

Tumbleweed
PV Nerd
Expertise: DIV II NAIA College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.45
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Tumbleweed » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 pm

With first hand experience, I highly recommend http://www.berecruited.com/ not only can you upload unlimited amounts of pictures and videos, but it has first rate form letter service.
I would compare it to a dating service. You can contact coaches via the site, they can review you and if interested bookmark you or contact you directly. I would have to say that it is one of the largest and best recruiting services on the internet. You can join free for limited service, but I recommend doing the full service. I think it was a one time $45.

My profile was reviewed by over 80 separate coaches and was contacted by dozen of coaches. That was as a 13' vaulter in High School. Using the site I ended up on almost a dozen recruiting trips to colleges, whic hwas a great experience.

So whether your looking for a local school or clear across the country, this is a great site!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”